Lake Skinner 7/19

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by big taz, Jul 22, 2007.

1. big taz

big taz New Member

State:
    california
    Decided to go out to lake skinner and give it a try. Jumped up called my fishing buds and headed out for the lake. Got there and had the boat inspected for my yellow tag certification. Launched about 7:20 and set out to the west end of the lake. I hadn't been there since I was a kid so I didn't know where to start. Took the ride over to the dam and noticed an aqueduct pours right into the lake. I figured this would be a great place to start.
    pulled up at the bouey line and tossed out my offerings. It was very slow but eventually the guy in the next boat goes bendo. After a pretty intense battle he pulls in Mr. Whiskers.. This fish looked to be about 7 lbs. That was enough to spark me up..LOL Another boat pulled up to the other side of the first guy and immediately was on fire. He caught 6 huge cats in short order. The guy was then gone as quickly as he came. I am still sitting there with nothing yet. I decide to move around and check out some areas. Pulled up on some of the many tree covered shorelines and find some bluegills that wanted to play. As soon as we get them going we hear a spine tingling rattle coming from in the bush that we were in. I guess we were too close for comfort to mR. Rattlers domain and were happy to quickly remove oursselves from it. I cranked up and we got out of there. We worked more of the shore for nada, but this time we did it on the drift just passing by. We worked until we were right back in front of the bouey line. We continued to drift and then Wham,, One of the rods bangs the top of the rail and fish was on. I grabbed the rod and worked my first kitty into the boat. THE SKUNK WAS OFF We continued and finally pulled back up to the line. We baited up and started soaking bait. My finder is singing like crazy but no takers. There was one other boat there and the two guys were taking turns going bendo. We figured hey great our turn is coming. My rod takes two violent bends and then goes limp. I reel it in to find everything was broken off. I get it back together and cast back out. My buddies line starts to take off and he sets into a nice 2.5 lb cat. The guys tell us they are biting on anchovies and of course We DIDNT HAVE ANY!! I had left a fresh bag of them from Gallions in the freezer... We continued to watch them slay the cats and here comes the ranger. NO YOU CANT TIE ONTO THE LINE! He kicked us off the line and we were having trouble hooking the anchor in the current and with the wind that had kicked up. As we were passing by the two guys waved us over to their boat and gave us all of the catfish they had caught. I couldn't believe it!! They said they didn't feel like cleaning any fish today and were just out for some afternoon action. We THANKED them and set up again at the line... However, this time we were able to do it without roping off. The guys kept getting hookups sometimes doubles and I found enjoyment in watching them.. It was like the fishing channel LIVE!! Why get upset.. A bad day on the lake is better than the best day on land or at work UGHH We were approaching 730 quickly and it was time to call it a day. We pulled up and were ready to go and the guys came and dumped anothere load on us.. WOW twice. God was looking out for us.. Total= Great Day 2 cats landed, 7 given to us, 1 striper, 2 bluegills and a lot of great memories..
    Cant call it anything but a great day!! We didn't sink the boat, get arrested or get kicked out so it was great... Sorry no pics my card reader was stolen at work.. I will have pics again once I go and buy another one.
    PS. I have not seen a lake produce as many 5lb+ catfish ever than at skinner. There were many at the cleaning station also. Maybe it is because of the duct also the fish are swimming in.?.. I wasn't seeing stocker size cats at all. Everything was large and well muscled..

2. orchardhills

orchardhills New Member

State:
    CA
    It sounds like you had a wonderful day. Thanks for the report!

3. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    thanks for the report corey, ive been wanting to check out that lake for a while, you fired up a want in me to go to skinner now, nice day of fishing, i wish more days like this for you

Mikey

4. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Ya. buddy. Thats a nice report.

5. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great story....Keep them coming....

6. big taz

big taz New Member

State:
    california
    :big_smile:Thanks fellas for responding to my post. it is great to share your experiances and know that others can relate and appreciate reading them. There will be more to come. Hope we all can meet at the water hole and make stories together..:smile2:

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Big taz, Thanks for the post and the great story of the days events

bayrunner ray

8. loanguybri

loanguybri New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks Big Taz, Always enjoy reading your posts!