Lake Shetek

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfish156123, Oct 19, 2005.

1. catfish156123

catfish156123 New Member

State:
    Currie, Minnesota
    I was really happy when they put channel cats in lake Shetek. At first of course there was no size to them and the walleye fishermen did not say anything. But now they are getting bigger and they really complain now. But I keep telling them that it is great for me. In fact I got me another boat to fish bigger lakes. Not that my 15.5 foot bluefin would not work but the fishandski Sylvan with a 60 horse motor is alot more comfortable. Most of the channels we get now are in the 2 to 4 pound range but get up into the teens on occasion. And it will only get better. Still like to go to the river but not having to drive 65 miles to fish catfish is nice as will.

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Where is that lake I have never heard of it, Is it north of the citys?

3. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Its south west of the cities, if I'm recalling correctly. Not to far from the IA border.

4. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    It is about 20 miles south of Marshall or about 40 miles north of Wothington.

5. Kelo80

Kelo80 New Member

State:
    SW MN
    I cant wait to hit up shetek and bloody and catch some of those nice eating channels!

6. Kelo80

Kelo80 New Member

State:
    SW MN
    catfish Im located in lake wilson, not far from you. How and where on shetek do you fish channels? cutbait or crawlers? I was thinking where the des moines comes out of shetek by the currie dam would be a good place if a guy could get a boat back in there.

7. Turf

Turf New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a spot just to the north of the Currie dam, it is a hike to get back to, but have never been skunked and have pulled a few betweeen 5-7 lbs. I live South of Des Moines, but will be up to Shetek in about 3 weeks.

8. Turf

Turf New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Was up at Shetek this past week and weekend. We did some catn' off the fishing pier on Valhalla Island and my younger brother got a 17lb cat and at the same time I pulled a 2lb cat when I was reeling in to avoid tanglement. I left the next morning, but he and some others went back out the next night and he got a 11lb, 7lb, and 5lb. He was using cut bait. the rest of his crew caught about 10 between the 2-3 lb range. The had a lot of fun and on heck of a fish fry the next evening.

On the general, the crappie fishing was pretty good also. I caught my limit in 15 minutes off the 2nd dike going to valhalla island.

The des Moines is low. We stopped at the dam and my brother and I went down stream, the water isn't flowing at all. lots and lots of dry spots. the water is low enough that when wading through, my shorts didn't even get wet and I don't wear short shorts.