lake sherman

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by fmb, Jun 30, 2009.

1. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Well I didn't go to the gathering so me and a couple buddies headed out to sherman.

We got skunked!

We fished from 47 feet of water all the way to the shallows, we thru everything we got out in the water. not even 1 bite

Any locals that fish sherman wanna share some tips?

Thanks

2. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Just drift for Walleye. I have caught TONS of cats at Sherman doing that :smile2:

3. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Seriously though...If you wanna bank fish, the inlet is a good spot although usually crowded. Area 3 has been good in the past, drifting thunder island is good for walleye and cats, and most any cove with a sharp drop off, a hump, or some structure along the bank have been good to me in the past. I used to live in Grand Island and fished it all the time. I have seen some MONSTER flatties come out of there. Haven't been there in a couple of years but hope this helps!

4. subcook

subcook Member

State:
    Grand Island, Nebraska
    well me and the family went up to sherman sunday night. I fished all night and all I caught was 2 carp on liver one was 9 and a half pounds and the other was 8 I threw everything I had out gills bullhead liver chubs cut them all that didn't work either so I have no idea what's going on with the bite. hopefull this sunday will be different at the tailrace. if any one wants to join me out there feel free bait might be kinda tight if I get off later then I expect

5. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    cut one of them carp up.. 1/2" of meat on a whole tail works good so does carp chunks and the guts oh boy.. now if ur after a BIIIIIG boy ya could get ya 1-2 lb carp and cut its tail off double hook him and toss him back out.

6. subcook

subcook Member

State:
    Grand Island, Nebraska
    does that really help with the bite cutting off the tail off? I've tried cutting the bards off my bullheads and the tail but not even a nibble. I've had a few bite off gills but mostly chasing it around u know? but any advise is greatly apprechated I"m after my first flattie or bigger then 5 pounds so any thing will help thanks a bunch bros

7. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I think cutting off the tail is just so it bleeds out....and for bullhead I leave barbs on....this is just what I do...no science behind it...

and about you flathead quest....give me a call when you get serious about it....I'll take you to "the spot"

otherwise you can always pull up a chair with skawez and fish my pool:smile2:

8. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    i cut off the tail for 2 reasons... one so i have a tail to use on my other rod for bait, second then its a wounded fish wounded fish.. easy pickins so to speak.. now with gold fish ill put a couple slices between the tail and the dorsal fin not so deep the bleed so much but it makes them swim around like the dickens for a bit then their all tired out and makes them really easy pickins.

9. subcook

subcook Member

State:
    Grand Island, Nebraska
    hey frankie I'm serious but catching me a big flattie but I havve little or no time to do it these days I work every weekend so I can usually only go out on like a sunday when I get off around 5 or so. I usually have mondays off but now that my boss is out of town I'm the unlucky bastard who has to pick up his shifts yeah me not. I'm having a ton of trouble find and fish this year. but sence I just got out of the navy about a year ago and am trying to reintroduce myself into catfishing I have to find spots for bait and then I gotta find fish to get to bite my bait but really I"m down for a great trip anytime. just hit me up like a week or so b4 so I can make sure I don't have to work u know and I"ll bring what ever I need to. thanks