Lake Shelbyville

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Brentkeele, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Where do I start???

Tuesday, I originally had plans with one of my fellow members of Gateway Cats to fish the Mississippi. With river levels making that prospect unsafe, those plans had to be postponed. I decided I wasn't going to let that keep me from the catfish, so I hooked up my little boat and headed to Shelbyville.

I started out by checking out what was going on with the spillway. What I found was that the gates were going and levels were on the rise (not surprising). Surprisingly though, the river didn't seem to be to bad. I went to the Spillway motel and paid my $1 ramp fee to attempt to use one of the sorriest ramps I've ever seen. My attempt was futile. There was no getting my boat off the trailer, couldn't get far enough down into the river to make it happen.

Up to the lake I went. I launched at the southwestern most ramp on the lake (just above the dam). I found bait in short order and quickly had enough to fish all night.

I fished everywhere from the dam to just north of Opossum Creek. I fished water depths from 10ft to 60ft. I anchored and I drifted. I received NO bites. No, I didn't just not catch fish, I didn't even get bit. I was able to mark plenty of big fish in the 35 to 60 ft depths. There were times I was marking them all stacked up on each other waaaayyy down there. I just couldn't pique there interest.

Now it makes sense that my humminbird would mark more fish in the deeper water because the cone of sonar is larger, the deeper the water. What I found to be the biggest challenge was the fact that I was able to present bait that I find to work more often than ANYTHING else I use practically right in front of what my sonar was telling me were significant numbers of fish represented by the largest icon that my depthfinder displays.

The bait I was using was fresh caught shad. Some whole, some were cut open, and some were completely chunked up. The results were still NADA!

Don't get me wrong, you'd think that 10 straight hours of hard fishing without so much as a bite would disappoint me. Not at all. I found it a very intriguing challenge that so far I have not risen to. I am hoping that some of my brethren here could help me out. I will be going back very soon (prob tomorrow), and I will be returning until I figure something out. Once I am able to figure something out, just try to keep me away :wink:.

So my question to ya'll is,.......suggestions??? I'd appreciate it. Thanks ya'll.

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I am interested in what others have to say. bwhupp and I had a similar situation happen this year at Baldwin. We marked tons of BIG fish, yet nothing would bite (except for a few tiny ones).

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I was told once that I wasn't holding my tongue right...

4. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Yeah, I have been told that same thing my entire life, by my grandfather.:smile2:

I must have been holding it all wrong again today. I covered from Eagle Creek to Coal shaft bridge on Shelbyville lake allllll day today. Nada!!

I know that I am not the Kevin Van Dam of catfishing, but I can normally find 'em and at least catch a few. I don't always get much size to 'em, but wow. Shelbyville has kicked my butt this week. I'm thinking about hitting it again tomorrow. This is driving me nuts. I don't wanna stop until I can figure something, anything out.

These last coupla outings have been a real blow to the old ego.:embarassed::eek:oooh::confused2:

Oh well, it's still better than going to work.:smile2:

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Did you make the "Offering to the lake Gods" you know you have to take that first netted shad and chomp the head right off and chew er up, nothing doing on th eflats eh? Hmmmmm, just talked with Ol Mr. Ken and well I just can't help ya on that one, but yes they did have a limit on what was discussed, came on crawlers harness rigs and pulln shad raps........ gonna go float the northern mud hole in the morn myself (Speaker Lake) area

6. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    No Randy, I did no chomping of the first shad's head. I did however give the first drink of each soda to the lake and gave the first cigarette out of the pack to the lake. :smile2:

If you think I'm joking about that, think again. I actually poured the first little bit of soda out of each can into the lake as an "offering" of sorts. I also actually threw the first cigarette out of my pack, also as an offering, into the lake. Am I a desperate shell of a man or what?????

:smile2::eek:oooh:

Wow!!! I am so hopeless!!!:confused2:

7. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    yea ashton and i had same prob,the atmosphere was all jacked up from hurricane i usually get a 7 to 10 pound channel every time i go,i turned up empty,and there were alot more sticks on the bottom from the water flow from the rain,i am thinking they should turn on here soon,couple days if not tonight,let all the water get back to level.and yes that ramp is short lol,the 1 dollar aint worth it.hey if u go back there i will bank fish with ya down there below tha spillway,right now is the time to fish down there,every time we go we see some one pull in muskie down there,ive been wanting to go back down there,last year when water was down we got alot of runners but they were bass, gar, drum but i think some nice cats r in there this year.

8. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Yeah Charlie that would be great. I will probably be heading back there very soon. I think I am going to stay home today to get some things taken care of that I have neglected in favor of chasing the cats this week.

I'll send ya a pm with some info before I head out next time.:big_smile:

9. capnmac59

capnmac59 New Member

State:
    illinois
    try up around bo wood acess area. we fished there in august when lake was up and won the tourney there. out from the ramp toward the island and to the east of that big island. put 6 fish in the boat and had right at 40 pounds. missed a lot of fish also. we were using shad whole and filleted both

10. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Congrats on your win. I know some guys who really know their stuff who did not do so well on that tourney! To beat these guys you accomplished something!

Welcome to the BOC!!

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    its not just your lake that the cats are being a pain sins all the rain the cats in staunton lake have lock jaw too i usly do good in high water up thear but not this time iv ben kinda frustrated myself havent fished in two days so guess i need to quit powting lol and get back at it hope it pics up soon not long till cold weather sets in need some more in the freezer

12. capnmac59

capnmac59 New Member

State:
    illinois
    it was hard night of fishing that night. took us bout 1 1/2 hrs to find any shad. then had to wait for the idiots to get off the lake. there were some great guys in that tourney and some darn fine fisherman. luck played a big role in winning. we found them and they couldnt get on them. also just to the west of bo wood around the corner as if you are going into camfield crrek we have had luck in the past. but first place i would try is out from ramp on east side of the big island.

13. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I am hoping to get out either friday or saturday. I will definitely give priority to that area next time out. Thanks for the information.

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on getting out there on the water, Hope you have more success on your next outing

15. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I know how you feel, I went somewhere around 5 years without getting skunked, but this year I've been skunked several times. Whats going on?

16. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Good question Don. I am just going to keep persistent and hope it turns into a learning experience and makes me a better fisherman in the process:wink:

17. capnmac59

capnmac59 New Member

State:
    illinois
    am gonna try decatur tonight. have a tourney there and tomorrow night gonna try springfield again. have had terrible luck there the past 2 outings. hope it changes but who knows?

18. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I don't know much about decatur lake, but I have read a lot about how Springfield is supposed to be a pretty darn good catfish lake. I've always meant to give it a shot, just never made it there.

Where do get the info on the tourneys on the lakes capnmac?? I've been wanting to give it a shot, but the only ones that I have been able to get any info on are the ones on the mississippi, and my boat is not big enough for that place.

Good luck to ya!:wink:

19. capnmac59

capnmac59 New Member

State:
    illinois
    team whiskers.com tri countycatfish.com type in catfish tourneys on a search and yo ushould have some luck. cliton tourney was cancelled for tomorrow because evveryone is at the cabellas tourney. springfield is done fo rthe year but they start up in march every year. good bunch of guys there. the shelbyville tourney is in august sure wish they would hold more there decatur has one every friday night thru the summer from 6 to 10 bout all i can help you with good luck on shelbyville when you get there. i absolutly love that lake helps i was born and raised in sullivan and remember that place when it was just a river. opps showing my age lol

20. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Thanks, I am gonna check it out. This is something that, come next spring, I really wanna give a try.

I appreciate it:wink: