Lake Shelbyville and the spillway???

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by lil kat, Jun 19, 2007.

1. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have to make a trip to Springfeild this friday and was wonder if anyone out there could tell e how the water is flowing out the spillway , and if fish ar biting there at all> Thinking about throwing in poles and stopping there on the way home, I know it loks like a good spot to do some fishing. Any information would be helpful. Thanks

2. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I went by the dam the other day and it looked dead, with only a little water coming out. Folks say on some of the other fishing boards that the lake is low this year, so it looks like the water won't be released for a while.
    I hope I didn't spoil your plans, I just wanted to share what I knew.
    It can be a great spot at times.

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    IF you comming to Springfield, try Lake Springfield for channels or the damn face of Sangchris for a nice Flathead :cool2:

4. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Fished Shelbyville many times, no luck. The water level is crazy low, matter of fact about 10 minutes ago they shelby lake on the news all 6 beaches are closed to water levels. Go with Subnet fishing spot.

5. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks to all of you for the info. I have wondered about Sangchris. I may try there or lake springfeild.

6. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    IF you do decide to hit Lake Sangchris, Im assuming it will be bank.. Your best bet to stick a big flathead would be to get ya some Bluegill....

As far as spots:

When you start to enter the Lake Area, right before the damn, there is a parking lot. If you park there, straight out from the parking lot and a little to the right is a point, throw out there. To the left (toward the damn), a little to the left of the point leading to the damn. Throw out parallel with the Damn face. The RipRap runs out into the water quite a ways, and the water is deep.. You wanna try and hit the edge of the rock line..

If you go over the damn, you will see parking on the left and right. I usually park on the left and hoof it back across the road and fish the damn face.. You'll see all the clearings in the rock bank where everyone sets up :smile2:.. There have been ALOT of HUGE Flathead caught there :big_smile: You'll wanna throw out quite a ways or you'll find nothing but snags on the rip rap... Best to try and fish the rock line.. You'll find it if you throw out and when reel in, you can actually feel when you hit the rock line..

If you park to the right there, you'll notice a long point, with a coves on either side.. The left one has handicap docks on the other side.. I've never caught much of anything out of there ... The right one LOOKS like it should have fish in it, but no much luck there either.. Straight out off the end of the point is best.. There is a BIG dropoff little ways out from it, some +40lb flatheads taken there :wink:..

All the spots can also produce some very nice Stripers as well... Blue Gill can be caught all along the edge of the riprip..

Hope this helps, just leave a couple for me :cool2:

7. CantFish86

CantFish86 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Tim for the info I fish there alot when im camping but no boat so never could locate that riprap and drop. My pops friend terry use to do the fish report for local paper from sangchris he told me the old farm bed out there by the dam but every time I snaged or no bites. So im gonna try the 1st peak and to the left I always went straight out from peak =) on cut shad.

8. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Here you go Paul, This may help ya ..

Attached Files:

9. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Tim I know those will help me out alot finding the spot I need to be:cool2:. Never know may catch a bigun up there and then ill have to post some pics of our catch. Think Ill take my ultra lite to catch bait with and use live as much as possiable and may even throw in my cast net for an added advantage. Thanks for all your help Tim:smile2:

10. howards

howards Member

State:
    IL.
    right now they are only dumping 250 gal per second thru gates ,the dead sea has more action right now .the lake would be better try trot lines it's nothing to see 40 and up pounders caught in the coves .late Feb and early march are the best times to hit the spillway as it's nothing for a 50-70 lb falthead to hammer a jig while trying to catch walleyes . This is not howard posting this but his buddy from sherman best of luck

11. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL

I'm in Sherman :big_smile: Where abouts you do most your fishing?

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    let me know when ur going down to sangcriss im down at that exact spot twice a week