Lake Shelbyville 1st time fishing

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by ynnad40, Jul 16, 2007.

1. ynnad40

ynnad40 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Im looking for some help I am going camping at lake shelbyville at the end of july. Never fished the lake was hopeing for some pointers, where, what bait to use etc... Anybody know if the lake level is up from june. All help is appreciated.

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have fished that lake several times and caught a few channel cats in the main river channels that bend close to a steep bank. Never caught anything worth bragging about. Try shad and cut bluegills, raw shrimp soaked in vanilla extract. Good luck

3. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    Where are you camping? If the dam's releasing water, the spillway in Shelbyville is a good spot to hit up. The Kaskaskia river above and below the lake holds some pretty good size flatheads as well.

The prospects for catfish on Lake Shelbyville itself are, like wolfman said, pretty grim. Add that to the boat traffic on Shelbyville during the summer, and you're just looking at a headache.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    dont fish the lake for cats, your best bet is to fish the dam, but i havent caught one flathead or channel this year last year i caught 5, this year stay out of shelbyvill unless u want muskie than fish below the dam

5. ynnad40

ynnad40 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We are camping at lithia springs near the dam. Sounds like i may have to go shore fishing below the dam or make the treck up the lake to the inlets. I use raw shrimp for channels but have never heard anyone trying vanilla i have used garlic salt before. I will have to try that out and let you know. I didn't relize Shelbyville had muskie in it. How big are they in the lake, I have heard they put up a good fight. Thanks for all of your help.
    Danny

6. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I saw a guy pull a 50" musky out of the spillway. Thats been several years back but we use to catch them often when we fished heavily over there. They put up a good fight and are fun to catch. Not much fun dealing with them once you've landed em. Good luck!

7. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    The Illinois state record Muskie came from below the dam at Shelbyville.

Here's a link to an article I found about it. It says that Muskies up to 53" have been caught there, as well, and that Shelbyville's one of the best bets for musky in all of Illinois. Good luck.

8. JEFFRO67

JEFFRO67 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Don`t forget about the good walleye white bass and crappie fishing too i`ve seen a few monster cats pulled out of there also.

9. RBBH

RBBH New Member

State:
    illinois
    I fished the lake 2 weeks ago and had prettty good luck catching channels with some dip bait in shallow flats.

10. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If you want the monster whiskers fish on either side of dam spillway down to about 100 yds from dam. but dont start till about 11 pm and dont leave till about 4 am.

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    If your on the bank run up to Bow-Woods and fish around that area, also Fox Harbor is a good channel and crappie spot, we generally use shad/shad gut. Have also done well in front of the dam at night with bobber in the rip/rap. Good Luck, OH and yes it has some Huge Musky!Also if in boat try the flats around Point #6 after dark.