Lake Shawnee

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by goingfishin, Dec 10, 2007.

1. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Anyone ever had any luck on Lake Shawnee?

2. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I bank fish there quite a bit during the summer, mainly for crappie and bass. I've never caught anything big though. A lot of 6"-8" crappie. I've fished for cats there several times. Plenty of channels in the 1-2lb range. I've heard some nice flatties have been caught in there though, and I saw around a 12-15lb channel floating dead on the surface a couple summers ago. I mainly used punchbait on my catfishing trips, but I plan in hitting it pretty hard with live/fresh cut bait this next fishing season....

3. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    It's a neat lake and I fish it a lot. It has a lot of structure, and dropoffs-- and that makes it VERY dangerous to wade. there are a couple of spots where I could put the nose of my 16' boat on the bank and have the tail (and transducer) in 20' of water. There are many places where you can be knee deep , and one more step is over your head.

If you are bank fishing, you will probably do better after dark, because of the crowds. A boat opens up much more of the lake because of all of the restricted access caused by the golf course etc. (dang commie plot!).

GOOD LUCK! There are some huge fish in that ol' lake.

4. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I fish there all the time, caught some really nice bass and some really good channels. I have also got some some nice healthy little flatheads in the 3-5 range. I have not hook in to any bigger but I talked to a Game Warden one day when I was there and I asked him about any big flats and he said a 60 plus is taken out every year that he has been on the job and he said that he had been there 6 plus years. Yeppa is right be careful when you are on the water, the bottom is very randem, I know of a few areas that will go from 5 foot to 25 in a sec it looks like a cliff on the fish finder. I have not found a bunch of structure in the lake, a buddy has a side view on his bass boat and it looked really clean to me but we only hit a few areas that day.

5. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Thanks guys, I would like to find the spots to were it drops ten too fifteen foot from the bank. I've read that if there is structure in the shallow near the deep you are bound to find cats at night.

6. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    One area that drops real good is on West Edge road. It is just past the boat ramp, if you are bank fishing it is on the point that has the old gazebo. You can get down to the bank but it is steep. If you are on the point looking North East the water goes from 5 average to around 18 to 24 in just about 10 feet off the bank. When it warms up give me a shout and I can show you a few areas that I have had luck at.

7. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Thanks, do you know if there are many shad in Shawnee lake?

8. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Last year Shawnee had tons of shad in it but the netting of any fish for bait is not allowed. Since the lake is not state ran it has its own set of regulations. I got nailed on that one, the Warden was nice, he even said he did not agree with the regulation but he had to uphold it. I did that day catch a 6 pound Flathead in the throw net that day. Your best bet is bring a small pole and a some worms you can catch a ton of perch in no time on most days.

9. MR SANDMAN 800

State:
    Kansas
    Oh yea, there were a ton of shad at Shawnee this year. I wish they'd change the netting rule. I went out and bought a cast net, then went to use it the next week and found out netting was illegal :angry: There's always a good concentration of shad that come to the heated dock at dusk, then they disappear a little after sunrise. I've never tried fishing for cats at that time, but I imagine it would be safe to bet there are some nice cats cruising underneath them.

10. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    The Heated Dock area is ok not one of the best. The cove runs about 20' to 36' I have pulled a few out from that area but it is fished really hard.

11. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    The temp. tomorow is going to be in the upper 30s so I was going to try my luck in the afternoon. I just got a new gps/depth finder and I am wanting to try it out. Any advice on where to try.

12. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Some places that I have had luck.

1. over by the new walking bridge next to the spillway
    2. over by the camp site cove
    3. the cove over by the ski ramp

The ski ramp area has a channel in it that the Stripers run though. I have hooked in to some nice channels in this area.

13. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Thanks, I will let you know how I do. I have some frozen shad but I was saving them for next years first tournament. I will just buy some shad sides at the dock.

14. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Desage, the hat you are wearing in your profile picture. Did you get it at the classic by chance?

15. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    The classic hats where solid dark blue. My wife won one.

16. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    No that is not one that I got at the Classic. I got that one with my King Kat Pole. I got one of the Med. Action pole to use for channels and for some of my heavy bass stuff.

17. MR SANDMAN 800

State:
    Kansas
    How'd you do at the lake the other day CJ?

18. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I put the boat in at about 11:30 and putted around the lake for about two hours just trying to learn how my locator/gps works. When I first turned the locator on the sensitivity on the depth finder was turned up all the way. All I saw was a butt load of distrubance. It took me about 30 to 45 minutes to figure out how to turn it down. I went over by the damb and threw out the drift sock. I drifted about 30 minutes without a hit, so I thought I would try by the heated dock. I threw my first pole in and was tightening the line when I got snagged up. I said screw it and loaded the boat up. I am thinking about making a trip up to the Kaw to see what I can do there. If your interested in going pm me and maybe we can set something up.

19. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Sorry to hear you didn't catch any, I know it took me a few times out with my Fishfinder to get to keyed in and working the way I thought it should. At least you are getting it taken care of now, when there are not that many boats out.

20. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I am computer illieterate so things did not go very smooth. I still don't know how to erace the tracking on the gps.:roll_eyes: