Lake Shawnee

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by JustinGarner, Apr 24, 2009.

1. JustinGarner

JustinGarner New Member

State:
    Topeka, KS
    its been a while since i've browsed the threads (deployed)...home on some R&R here in Topeka, gonna hit up Lake Shawnee tonight, down by the paddle boat place. Just wondering if anyone has been there yet and if they're biting?

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I really do not fish Lake Shawnne much other than for bait. Kinda funny since I live minutes from it, when I have fished it it is mostly eater size channels. One or two time I have pulled in ones in the 8 plus range. I think I would hit the area around the dam next to the wakling bridge not as deep and you have the rocks there fro them to be on and you have the current if the water is going over the spillway. To me that is 3 big factors. The paddle boat area is ok I just hit it later in the year .

3. JustinGarner

JustinGarner New Member

State:
    Topeka, KS
    yeah we went and i couldn't even catch a cold! so, we're gonna try and go spend the night down at osage lake one of these nights before i head back...

so on another note, whats the best place to catch some fish between now and mid-may, within 30 minutes of topeka, and with what bait?

4. Lyle

Lyle New Member

State:
    Lawrence, Kansas
    As for bait;

At lake Shawnee the Trout bite is on, along with Walleye off the dam and other places that I know of.

Lake Shawnee is imo my best bait hole for big 'ol gills and warmouths. I catchem' with a fly rod on the little pier or breakwater,, whatever on the W side of the swimming area. You'll catch a gill or warmouth, and big ones at that,with every pitch of the rod.

I believe you have to have a permit to fish at Shawnee though.? I've never payed any attention as I buy my Trout permit and I think that covers anything else. I should really look into that, though..

Good Lucck!

5. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Lake Shawne opened the the gen. public a few years ago when they joined up with the state more. The Co. still has control of the lake but the lake permit and such has been dopped aal that is needed is a fishing license unless you are going for trout then a permit from that is needed.

6. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Justin, im headin to the weir tonight if ya wanna come give it a try. if ya dont know how to get there give me a call my number is at the bottom of all my posts.

7. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    ok, well, i guess i changed my signature and dont remember :smile2:. my # is 785-633-6307

8. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    I also live just minutes away from shawnee - excellent lake - boat fishing is much better than from the bank though. I'd fish the south end of the lake this time of year the water is warmer - also fish around any drain tubes after the rain - shad has always been my first pick for bait and liver will usually alway get ya some fish - around the south boat ramp is a popular spot and the bite should be picking up around that area soon - if you're fishing from the bank ya have to get away from the easy spots - clinton isn't that far and word has it the channels are at the mouth of the walkie:wink: Hope this helps!!

9. JustinGarner

JustinGarner New Member

State:
    Topeka, KS
    sorry i didn't get in touch with ya sooner J.J. been kinda busy...everyone wants to see me for some reason!:wink:the wife and i may hit up carbondale east lake tonight and cast off the dock out there...weather permitting of course...thanks for all the advice everyone!

10. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    Went past the spill way today - the lake like everything else is really up - I wish it were alittle warmer than it is but I'm sure some fish are still bitting - when the lake gets up the trout shut off though - give shawnee a little time to stabalize and I think the creek channels and drops may start producing a few flathead - I may go out this next weekend if time permits - I fiqure if I take the camper out then I can put the boat at the dock and it'll make it easier to do a little trailer maint. without the toon on it:wink:. Hey Dsage - I'll let ya know by fri if I'm going and maybe I'll pick ya up at one of the boat ramps and we'll go see what we can find - if it keeps raining the latter part of the week and stops sat I wouldn't mind trying for some BIG FISH at the south end. It could be a bust though you know how they'll gorge themselfs and then it's for NOT!!!:angry: Always worth a shot though.:wink:

11. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Just let me know.

12. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    CHECK HERE THUR NIGHT AND I'LL KNOW 4SURE BY THEN - I'LL POST EITHER WAY - I HAVE A LITTLE SLIGHTLY SOURED SHAD AND SUNFISH IN THE FREEZER JUST LOOKIN FOR A PURPOSE!!!!!! I CAN PROBABLY GET SOME LIVE 4 TO 5 INCH SUNNIES ALSO - IF NOT GOLD FISH IS GONNA BE ON THE MENU!!! CATCH UP WITH YA THURS!!!:cool2:!!

13. Lyle

Lyle New Member

State:
    Lawrence, Kansas
    Can anyone confirm or deny the fact of Lake Shawnee having a major spring feeding it?

With the old state record for a trout, I would have to ponder a guess that the trout "over summered" and survived somewhere cool and clean in the lake, maybe a spring. IIRC, trout need less than <60 degree water, along with it being clean to survive.

With a new record Rainbow coming out of Wyandotte County Lake I'd have to wonder about it too, as being spring fed.? I've only fished it once and as clear as the water was it doesn't surprise me at all of a monster Rainbow coming out of it.

Also, Lake Shawnee has a dam in an east-west direction. I've seem to remember being told that east-west dams, instead of north-south, equal a spring fed lake..? Any truth to this that anyone may know of?

Man, I'm all sort of ready for flats...With the rains right now,, man, what a good year to come.. imo :wink:

Good luck guys

14. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE WHOLE EAST WEST DAM THING BUT SHAWNEES DAM IS IN THE NORTHWEST CORNER OF THE DAM - AS FOR A MAJOR SPRING I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT EITHER BUT SHAWNEE DOES GET VERY CLEAR AT TIMES AND USUALLY HOLDS A CONSISTANT WATER LEVEL SO MAYBE - AS FAR AS THE TROUT I HAVE CAUGHT THEM INTO EARLY JULY(ON RARE OCCATIONS) BUT I WOULD SAY THE VAST MAJORITY DO NOT MAKE IT THAT LONG - MY GUESS WOULD BE THAT THE STATE RECORD WAS NEAR THAT WEIGHT WHEN IT WAS RELEASED - TROUT SINK TO THE BOTTOM WHEN THEY DIE AND I BELEIVE THAT THE CATS IN SHAWNEE TAKE CARE OF THE REMAINS - I HAVE CAUGHT ALOT OF THEM ON OUTDATED SALMON FILLETS

15. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Kyle I have to ask, is your cap button broke??:eek:oooh::confused2:

Sure makes it hard on the eyes to read your post..

16. Lyle

Lyle New Member

State:
    Lawrence, Kansas
    Kyle,

Just an fyi,.. IIRC,The old, (I think there is a new record?) record channel cat came out of one of the Mined Pit area's that just so happen to have trout stocked in it, and it just so happens the channel was caught on a Rainbow...

I'd bet there are some big flats in Shawnee, and maybe Wyandotte just waiting...

17. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've heard of some nice flatheads being caught there, but have never seen any. Biggest I've had on was 2 or 3lbs but it got off the hook when I pulled it out of the water.

Fished the dam tonight, not one bite from the cats using shrimp. I caught 5 crappie, 4 wipers, a smallmouth, a trout, a bluegill, and a walleye though. All on 1 1/2" jigs. Need to get some shad and try again.

18. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    From what I understand, the new state record trout came out of Shawnee Mission Lake. Wyandotte has some big ones in there, that do survive the hot summers, but I would have heard if there was a state record set outta there. :confused2:

19. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    Hey Tom - no sorry - as far as lake shawnee I was going to fish it yesterday but they had it closed to boating because of the row boat races - all worked out o.k. though - went to Perry - didn't tear em' up but we did find a few nice fish - two in the 6lb range and one 8lb - caught a few dinks also but let em' lose - looked like the small ones had perisites on them. I don't know about fishing around the dam right now - I think the fish would be down on the south end with all the recent run off imo

20. Lyle

Lyle New Member

State:
    Lawrence, Kansas
    My bad. Thanks man, I should of checked some facts before posting that.
    I had read it on this site and for some reason stored it away as being from Wyandotte. :tounge_out:

Shawnee Mission must be a deep lake?
    Springs?