Lake Shasta Bassin'

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KnotGillty, Apr 8, 2008.

1. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Went to Lake Shasta on 4/5/08 with my father-in-law Leo and my newphew Chase. Left the launch ramp and immediately discovered that the boat wouldn't go more than 10MPH. After some nerve wracking tinkering and troubleshooting, we discovered that one of the spark plugs was messed up. Replaced that and we were good to go. Less than 5 minutes after our first stop and Leo hooks up with the first fish of the day.
    [​IMG]

The lake is down for this time of year but there are still lots of awesome views
    [​IMG]

Lots of fishy looking water
    [​IMG]

We caught a few bass next to trees
    [​IMG]

Hungry fish on a spinnerbait
    [​IMG]

The fish had a preference for the points today, about 3 to 1
    [​IMG]

Caught a little over half our fish on senko's today
    [​IMG]

fishy water
    [​IMG]

Bought 3 dozen minnows which resulted in 17 or 18 hookups
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

slip bobber and minnow territory
    [​IMG]

This tree was over 100 feet from shore in 45 feet of water. It housed a family of 3 squirrels. We got about 5 feet from them before they scurried to the top
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When the lake is full, don't troll in this area
    [​IMG]

Got a couple bass off this point
    [​IMG]

and here too
    [​IMG]

Chase with a nice spotted bass
    [​IMG]

We caught a total of 40 bass between 3 anglers for the day. Almost all fish were caught in 5 to 15 feet of water. We got a couple on spinnerbaits, 17 or 18 on slip bobber / minnow combo, and the rest on senkos. We landed two smallmouths and all the rest were spotted bass.

Time to call it a day
    [​IMG]

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Wow, Randy, I like looking at your pics but you need to put them in a single album to make them easier to view.

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Good job Randy" - it look like you guys had a good time out there with those Ba$$. Thanks for sharing those photos.
    :0a31:

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks forthe report Randy:wink: Love the pictures too. Beautiful lake indeed:wink:

5. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    If Catfish1 would allow pictures to be viewed within the context of the story, the whole report would be a much better read. The 3 other fishing forums I post to allow photo's to be imbedded into the report (instead of imbedding the links into the report). I simply copy my fishing reports from another forum and then paste them here, hence, the layout above.

Anyhow, we had a good time on the lake. We didn't get any largemouth which was a bummer. All fish ranged from about 10 inches to 2 1/2 pounds. Lots of quantity, but not so much quality. Believe it or not, it was a slow day by my father-in-laws standards. He spends a lot of time there every spring and has lots of 80 to 100 fish days (by himself).

It was just good to get back out on the water. Been much too long. . . .