Lake Shafer

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by fcrnnngbck25, Apr 27, 2007.

1. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Hey I going to be spending the weekend on Lake Shafer. I never actually fished it but I have seen alot of photos of fish being brought out of there when I went to Indiana Beach this past year. So I was wondering if anyone on here has fished this lake and had success. I was wondering if someone could tell me some good ideal baits to use in this lake, rigging if needed, and good areas. I'm sure ill be doing almost all my fishing from the shore considering i'm not sure my uncle will have a boat available. So you could include that into the process. Thanks ahead of time and please help this younger angler get some success.:confused2:

2. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    I have fished Shafer quite a bit, but it has been from a boat. I have had luck on the southern bank just to the west of Indiana Beach (Riviera Motel), but you probably have to be staying there to fish there. If you can get a boat, fish in front of the Galaxy Roller Coaster. Tons of channels along the side of the Lazy River pilings. And it's always fun to catch some of the carp that come up for the popcorn people throw in at Indiana Beach. I catch so many there, using doughballs, that my arms get tired. I have caught blues (8# max) and flatties (21#Max) right there as well.

3. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi

Thanks for the tip i'm going to try and get a boat and see if I can't get some luck. I stopped into a bait shop down there awhile back and have heard the southern shoreline is good fishing. Hopefully I can get a boat and try for some channels by the galaxy and maybe do some drifting at night for some blues and flatheads.

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    below the dams will be good. also blue water ramp area and the old dam up around 24 bridge. if you boat it, fish the creek inlets and bays with creeks. remember the cats will be up river this time of year. DKs punch bait or cut gills,chubs,carp,suckers or shad. i always fish a jig on the third rod for whites and eyes.

good luck bro.

5. hillbillywilly

hillbillywilly New Member

State:
    Burnettsville, Indiana
    Haven't been able to fish the old dam yet. How is bank fishing blue water ramp area? Only been there a couple of times with the kids catchin' gills for bait.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    there is a park there at bluewater with at least 100yrds. of shore. that was just another option. the old dam up by 24(both sides have good stucture) would be a better place than bluewater. also you can walk a long way down the shore from norway dam on west side. you can park across from the resurant(back towards town from norway) too and access the river. the walleyes were on the feed below oakdale last week i was told. good luck bro. post pics!:big_smile:

7. hillbillywilly

hillbillywilly New Member

State:
    Burnettsville, Indiana
    Hoping to hit a few spots this weekend. If my brother gets his boat going hopefully hit a few spots I have seen. My parents live out past the airport and have a pier close to ski island. Brother is going to dock boat there this year. If I catch 'em I'll post the pics.:big_smile: