Lake Russell

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catchaser1, Jul 10, 2007.

1. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    anyone ever fished lake Russell or know anything about it?

2. Skipper

Skipper New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Good bass fishing early spring but other than that not sure about the cats.

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    striper fished it once several yrs back. I have heard the savanah river was good for cats before they built russell dam though.

4. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    We have a house/ hunting lodge a 4 wheeler ride away from lake russell. I've fished it all my life. It's gets jug fished like you wouldn't believe. We used to jug fish it a little bit and all we would catch was 1 or 2 lb channels. I think one time we me have may have gotten a 5lb blue. Now that we are so serious into flathead fishing, i've been dieing to give it a try. The lake looks like it would be a flathead heaven. There's standing timber and steep rocky banks everywhere. The only thing that has deterred my from fishing it is that nobody else seems to have caught any flatheads out of it. I'm thinking maybe since the lake is fairly young, I believe it was built in the early to mid 80's, the flathead population hasn't had a chance to become established. However, I did hear from my neighbor down there that he saw a guy come back to the landing with 2 30lb flatheads that he had caught on trotlines.

5. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    I also forgot to mention:

Another buddy of mine was bass fishing down there last summer and said he caught a catfish that bottomed out his 15lb spring scale. I asked him if it was a flathead or a blue and he said he doesn't know the difference:confused2:

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Theres blues and flatheads in Clark Hill and Hartwell and they where in the Savannah river before Russel was built so they are there.Normally a blue population takes off alot quicker than flatheads so I would be willin to bet that fishin for blues would be better but I dont know for sure.I know a few people that target eating sized cats there and they catch alot of channels and blues in the 2 to 10 lb range so they are definately reproducing good.

7. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    I've been wanting to try it out, I'm just too curious, I may try it in the next month or so

8. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    You'd think that with all the crappie, perch and standing timber that there would be some giants in there. I love that lake. All you hear are outboards in the distance and birds!!!!

9. turk

turk New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I liive on russell and I fish it a lot. I have never caught a blue cat here . I caught over a 1000lbs this past winter in baskets and never caught a blue cat. But russell is loaded with channel cats in the 2-5 lb range. Most or the fish Ive caught recently have been on cut herring and stink bait fishing points and shoal makers

10. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I used to say the same thing about Lake greenwood when somebody would say they caught a blue there.For 27 years of being around and fishin the lake, I've never caught a blue from there.Then one day I really stuck my foot in my mouth when we boated a 29 and a 44 lb blue in one day from Lake Greenwood.

11. turk

turk New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Chris, It would suit me fine if they showed up one day,especially on the end of my line:smile2: Im just saying I aint never caught one here but i sure do like catching them . blues hit like they mean it. My 14 yr old summed it up best when he caught a 32 lb blue last week on Monticello. He said daddy, That fish hit so hard it scared me:smile2: