Lake/River depth maps

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Ravensmavsfan, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    Does anyone know of any decent lake or river depth map websites?

2. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    I second that Q. Would be nice to see.

3. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yea I dont know how readily available depth maps and that would be but I know at least of rivers you can get the navigation charts for i think the usgs site but I always find links from other sites. I would like to see depth maps but it maybe hard especially for rivers.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Some of the ones I have found are not the dependable, or should I say accurate. Apparently the depths were acquired before the lakes were flooded, and sedimentation caused by the change in water flow seems to have filled in area that are shown deeper.

I guess the bottom line is that they will give you a good ballpark on what the contours are, but you need to get out and do some time with a depthfinder to know where everything is currently at.

5. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Let me know if you can get an answer to that... I have been looking for years.

6. G3Morton

G3Morton New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I got a book from Wal-Mart of all the lakes in Indiana. Not only does it have most of all the lakes in there it has the depths listed for each one. They show a very detailed map of each lake and the depths for that area. It shows the roads around the lakes, and the boat ramps that you may need.

The same goes for the Ohio River that flows along the Indiana shore lines. It shows the roads that run along the river, the towns and boat ramps. It will show every bend in the river and creeks that run into it.

This will give you a good place to start looking with that depth finder.

The book I have is from a company called Sportsman's Connection
    I have the Indiana Fishing Map Guide-Volume 2. I am sure they make them for about eveywhere.

7. RT1

RT1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    ehy guys,
    i like to use map card,it cost 15.00 bucks for a year