Lake/River Depth Inquiry

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by ThaWstSide, Jul 17, 2009.

1. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Does anybody know how or where you can obtain information on how deep the water is, in say a certain Reservoir, or River?

2. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    Most of the time the local bait shops have a topo map for sale for $2-5 bucks that gives you a better idea the next best thing is boating with a fish/depth finder of course.

Fud

3. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    At walmart in the sporting good department they sell a Indiana book. It has nearly all lakes and reserviors, public and city owned. It shows general depth road locations and stocking info as well. They also list the white river, wabash and the ohio river. I have one and it is a very good book. I think you can pick it up for about $20.00. It is not defined as much as a topo map but isint far off and has a whole lot more info in it. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  4. liplifter

liplifter New Member

State:
    indiana
    Uncle larry's lake maps,encyclopedia of all the lakes in the state

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i never found one for my res. yet. i had tomap it with google earth print out and fish finder myself. thanks guys ill check those out.

6. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Tim, I HAVE one for you reservoir!!! If I can find it I'll scan it & email it to you...I might have it as a PDF already. If you don't hear from me in a few days, remind me!

7. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just found it! Scanning right now...I'll send it in a couple minutes.

8. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    On its way Tim...

9. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
  10. duff

duff Guest

This is a helpfull site if you are on a river lots and pay attention to the closest gage reading. We used to duck hunt on a small river and we knew if it was over 900cfs we wouldn't hunt anything less we were on, anything over and we didn't have the right gear to do it safely.

The river level where they say in feet as opposed to cubic feet per second is specific to the bridge that the gage station is on, so 15 feet there is not the same as 15 feet anywhere else and I'm not sure how close it is to actual water depth but it will give you an idea.

NOAA has a flood forcast page that uses the USGS data and adds to it what to expect at each significant flood stage. Very helpfull to those who live on the rivers, or hunt the flood waters!

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    guess ill have to check my mail! thanks Matt!

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    depth has changed in a couple of spots but looks good. thank you very much for passing that on! thanks for the call the other day about my recovery too,brother. im able to reel in a toad now so come hunt with me when it rains again. ground is so dry the river cant rise much.

13. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah, if we get some rain I'll try to make it up...tough for me to get away on a minute notice though lol! We definitely need some rain. River down here was barely boatable at 300 cfs & now its been down to 125 cfs. Fullstringer & I are headed downstream tomorrow to find some of those 30ft holes everyone is talking about:wink: