Lake Rhodhiss Report 11.16.09

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mifit98, Nov 16, 2009.

1. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    Left Castle Bridge landing at 7 AM...heavy fog, dead calm, surface temp was 57 degrees. Fished until 11:30 AM, started at the water treatment plant and went downstream on the south bank drifting live shad at 0.5 mph on down lines from 15-22 feet deep. Caught two (both 4-5 pounds) both fish came between 10:00 - 10:30. Ran one flat line with a live shad on a planer board and one santee rig for channel cats with a shad head...caught nothing on either one of those rigs, both fish came on the down lines. Spoke to 2 other striper boats who were dragging shad; only one 5 lb fish between both of them...a slow morning.

2. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    How is the fishing up there usually? I've been wanting to get up there for some time. Are there trout or is it still too low in elevation?

3. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    Mason, I've found the fishing on Rhodhiss to be OK. It's not a "trophy" lake for any species in my experience. 15 years ago the regulars caught striper up to 40 pounds but those days are gone...once the word got out the big ones were wiped out.

Depending on the circumstances I've caught bream, perch, crappie, largemouth, channel cats and stripers over the 20 years I've fished LKR; I've heard of people catching an occassional musky (but they're rare). It's about 5 miles from my house so I fish LKR more than I fish anywhere else. Let me know if you come up and I'll tell you whatever I know that might help you.

Mac

4. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    That's how it always is...word gets out and the fish vanish.
    A damn shame!! I likely wont be up until sometime next year
    prior to April. I'll give you a heads up as I'll stop there prior to
    going to James.

5. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mason, the upper end of that lake, the river really also has Walleye but I've never caught one past the backwater. And if you plan to try and fish that far up you need a boat with a very shallow draft.

I bypass that lake and fish either Hickory or just stay here at home and fish James. I'm working to get a baot back on the water, Let me know if you want to give James or Hickory a try.

Also, I can help put you on a trout if your so inclined. I can't fish with you much ( unable to handle falling on the slick rocks ) but I'd be glad to show you all I know and help you get started.

That goes for any of the BOC btw PM me if interested.