Lake Reidsville Tragedy

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by floundahman, Jul 23, 2007.

1. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I heard this story on the news today, and immediately wondered if the victim of this accident was a BOC member. It doesn't appear that he was, but I'm posting the link to the story. Was anyone fishing this tournament?

2. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro

3. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    i was at the torunment and weigh in was at 2am the accident happen at around 2:15 am. I was off the lake at 1:30 before the accident, we had a big turn out everyone did there best in boating so things like this don't happen, but sometimes things do. i was told by a friend that it was a head on accident. I hope that this will not affect the lakes take on tournnments, they hold several diffrent types every summer. My thoughts go out to the family and friends of the accident victum and all who was involved. it seam this summer has found its share of boating accidents and loss of life here in NC. All i can say is nav lights and pfd at night, and go slow. it don't take much to get into a lot of trouble at night while boating.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Amazing that someone from the BOC does not know these folks.

5. skiff_2

skiff_2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I grew up in Reidsville and asked a good friend there about the victim, but he did not know anyone involved. I would like to know more. Surely I at least know some friends of the deceased. I used to ski out there when I was a kid. Used to fish at Lake Hunt there also. Lots and lots of great ponds around there and the Smith, Mayo & Dan rivers too.

6. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    i fish the tournment all the time I sure i may know who this person is by sight, I can never remember names, I have only a few people who i fish with in reidsville, I'm sure the next torunment will be visited by the game warden to keep a eye on things. it seams there are way too many boating accidents this year, boaters need to pay more attention on what going around them look out for the other guy as well. every time i see a boat comming in the same line as me it makes me real nervery and my eye is on the boat and hand on the horn.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The smartest thing ALL the tournament series could do is hold their tournaments during the day instead of night. I believe that would significantly reduce their liabillity, and it would be safer for everyone involved.

8. skiff_2

skiff_2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Spoke to my friend again. He heard the victim was was in an unlit boat and was t-boned and died of massive head trauma. The operator of the other boat thougt he saw something and throttled down, then changed his mind and hit the gas just before impact. Back when I was a kid Lake Reidsville had a full time warden who lived inside the property entrance.