Lake Rathbun in Iowa!

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by mocatman, Jun 3, 2009.

1. mocatman

mocatman Guest

Hello from Missouri! Just getting ready to head north here in a couple weeks to Lake Rathbun and i was wondering if anybody had any pointers on how to wrangle a few cats? I grew up in extreme north Missouri and i was always near the lake but never got to fish it. Anyways anybody know much about this lake give me a shout!

2. ronniethomas

ronniethomas New Member

State:
    iowa
    it's been awhile since i've fished that lake but me and my dad used to do really well fishing off of the banks at night with chicken livers, caught a lot of nice channels but nothing monsterous. i dont recall ever catching too many flatties but i'm sure you'll get get 'em with the right bait whatever that may be. Good luck to ya.

3. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    The lake is high and muddy. I assume the cats are way up in the creek arms in the timber. I fished the spillway a couple of nights and saw one tiny channel caught. Tons of small crappies in there and bigheads jumping in the spillway. I bet if the discharge stays high for a while, the catting will get a lot better. I think it was only 1000cfs when I was there and it was a lot higher than I've seen it before. There were a lot of people there too.

There are rats living in the spillway rocks. I'm glad someone told me before I learned on my own. They even run around in the daytime. It's kinda nasty.

4. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    I HAVE BEEN CATCHIN SOME NICE CHANNELS INSIDE THE HYDRO BELOW THE DAM AND OUTSIDE THE HYDRO...EVEN STARTED CATCHING A FEW FLATHEADS OVER THE LAST WEEK...CAUGHT CHANNELS UP TO 12 LBS BUT YOU WILL NEED LOTS OF WEIGHT.