Lake Pleasant trip report

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by AZflats, Nov 27, 2006.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Howdy bros~
    I ended up going to Pleasant on Friday night and fished with a few buds till morning. We caught stripers and whites under the lights in the castle creek area all night.. There were four of us and we boated over 70 fish.. Big fish of the night went to my bro Mike with a long and skinny 6.5 lb striper.

From what they were describing, the action was slowing down from previous weekends out where they were boating limits of bass each night.

We used anchovies and live minnows under floating lights. I tried the green sinking light, but it did nothing.

* Hope this helps anyone planning a trip to Pleasant.. Catch those damn stripers!!!
    Take care~

2. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    This is funny that this post ends up here, I am a member of Azbasszone also, and this is all I would post. Over the summer we had over 20 nights of 100+ stripers at night under lights using anchovies!!!:0a23: Our biggest was closer to 15lb, but most were dink 2lbers. Lost of fun when the beer is cold and the night is warm!!!:006: We would spend all weekend just slayin those damn things, that is really how I came over here, cause we got to tired of wasting nights on the stripers that we wanted to learn more about az catfishin. So that is how I ended up here, and then it comes full circle. Glad you got to experience that, unfortanatly I think that for the next couple of years you will be able to do that way to often. Plesent is just over full of those little snakes. It all goes back to the year when we flooded, and the same year Roosie flooded. THose stripers need running water to spawn, and they spawn in jan-feb right when all that rain came. So what you are reaping is the fruits from the same flood that has helped Roosie out so much. I think that the stripers will eventually hurt pleasent really bad, but oh well there is always roosie, and the flatties!!! Great post though, it brought a smile to my face!:big_smile_2:

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Those little stripers and white bass are good eating, and that's why I went there. To fill up the freezer.. I have had three fish dinners since that night and enjoyed each one.

* I know the lake is overrun with stripers, fortunately, it is also overrun with bass fishermen.. :big_smile: So it should all work out..:big_smile:
    ~ One things for sure, I will catch my first flatty from that lake next year.
    * Once the bald eagle closure is over on the Agua Fria arm in June, I am going to start exploring the river a little more...

Anyone interested is welcome aboard the "Mean Green", (My boat's name) to explore the Agua Fria arm for the elusive shovelnose.

~A

4. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Man that sounds like a plan, count me in. But i do think that we should plan a bank trip to the aqua fria river off of table mesa road. You can access the river right where it start enter the lake. Just like the diversion damn at roosie. I know how to get there, it is bank fishing only unless you have a john boat or somethink launchable by hand. It has pretty nice banks with lots of room to find a nice hole. I have gone there by car and by way of boat up the river from the lake. Most of the time the water is around 5-15 feet deep, depending on flow. But I have a couple spots that I wouldnt mind trying for flatties!! so let me know and we can fingure something out!!

5. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    I could not help but mention that Powell has gotten real bad with stripers too. I am sure that it would be an awful long drive for you guys, but the last two years have been crazy with stripers at Powell.

I mentioned that one night (six hours) three of us landed over 120 of the blooming things. It was fun, but I have never gone through so many chovies in all my life.

I didn't know that Pleasant had them in there...I guess I learned something today :lol:

Keep yanking them outta the lake!!!

Ryan

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I went out once more Friday night and within two hours had about 30 stripers/whites. Ended up leaving the lake about 9:30 before it got too cold with a cooler filled with fresh fish..
    This is too easy.

* Does anyone know if the bite will be slowing down at all?

7. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    what part of pleasent were you at? we were catchin them this summer by th 1702 sign, and in castle creek, where are you finding them now?

8. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Andy,

Nice to hear that you are thinning the striper population!!! :cool2:

Here is the deal about fishing for stripers in the winter on lakes...

-On Pleasant, they may not slow down much because the water temps may be stable.

-If it does seem to slow, try fishing deeper. On Powell, during the winter you can catch them pretty consistantly below 60 feet. The water temperature stays more constant at those depths and so they stay down lower. It may end up happening at Pleasant. We found that we would catch stripers deep, but would put them into shock with temp changes and by the time they reached the surface, they were almost dead.

-Ultimately, if things die off, try chumming the water with little pieces of anchove and some dog food. Usually they will pick up the scent and it will bring them in.

One question...how deep are you fishing?

Ryan

9. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I was picking 'em up in about 60ft of water, (right near the bottom) at the mouth of Castle creek.

~ That was probably the last time I go to pleasent this year.. I am going to try to hit up Bartlet for some flattys the weekend after Christmas..

10. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Andy,

Let us know how that turns out. That lake has been pretty awesome to you this year...it would be cool to see it continue to treat you well.

Ryan

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good job on your catch of linesides. Bet that was total fun.

12. ike whitson

ike whitson New Member

State:
    ariz/northwest
    Hey Andy,

Where's the catfish? Your taking after me on the stripers:go: :go: Go get em! Thier pretty good eaten too. Just thought I'd post a note for ya.We are in Reno NV. for a little while and going to try and get out to Pyramid lake to try for some of the big trout they have when we get a break from the wind, snow and rain:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: Anyway we wish you and your girls the best for the holidays !!

13. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hey, I been to that lake. Beautiful scenery. Did not get a chance to fish that much. I casted some spoons from the shore line. Did not catch anything, but had some fun.

Good luck Ike, good to hear from you bud!

Attached Files:

14. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    GOOD JOB on the stiper I have never fish for them but it sounds fun thanks for the info