Lake Pleasant Information

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by glenmorebuckman, Aug 5, 2007.

1. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I used to live in Peoria when I was a kid (1970-1983) actually was born in Glendale. We used to fish Lake Pleasant before the new dam was built. I was looking at Terra Server imagery and was amazed at how much it has changed. What is the deepest place in the lake now? How much did the new dam raise the water level? Also, are the old fishing and camping places, like Dirty Shirt, still there? Things sure have changed, there's a bunch more houses than there used to be.

2. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I don't know exactly how deep it is but it has to have places well over 150 ft.
    The old dam or whats left of it is under water. I use to fish dirty shirt for channels and yellow bullheads along time ago. Dirty shirt is way underwater. That lake went from being a mudhole to a very large lake.

3. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    Thanks for the reply Travis. Is the old dam for the lower lake still there?

4. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    N.p.
    I like to talk fish almost as much as i like fishing for them. I was on Pleasant in my Targa around 2000 or 2001 and the lake had dropped really low. So low that it had exposed the old dam. It divided the lake in just about half. Probably more like 2/3rds to 1/3rd. It looked like they just cut the center section out of the dam. About 20 to 30 feet of the old damn was exposed on each side and you had to drive righ through the middle of what used to be the dam. Driving inbetween the two huge sections was like entering a door into another lake even though it was still the same lake. It was a pretty cool sight. Of course at the time they were bouyed off up close and you couldn't get really close to the structures. HTH

5. stinky fingers

stinky fingers New Member

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    Hey Billy. Lake Pleasant almost tripled in size after they hauled in the new dam. It's a huge earth dam. I have seen 230ft deep could be deeper. They tapped into the CAP canal which comes from the Colorado River. Water is pumped into the lake in the winter months until it's full when water demand is low then all summer they release water when demand is greater. Which is how the stripers got in to the lake. The experts said even if they do get into the lake they won't multiply. They were WROOOONG. The lake is full of stripers. It's possible to catch 100+ fish over night fishing under floating lights. The lake is very crowded and soon to get worse when a 2nd marina is complete.
    Take care.
    P.S. Peoria ain't a small town no more.

Larry

6. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    I hate lake pleasant simply for the fact that there's to many idiots that go to that lake. I've taken my green weenie out there and was almost capsized by inconsiderate wakeboard boats. The only time I'll go now is when the sun is down. My friend fishes out there a lot and catches some really nice Flats. He's lost a lot of big fish in the trees but says it's worth it.
    Micah