Lake Pleasant flathead catfish

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Blue709995, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Blue709995

Blue709995 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey guys I'm new to the BOC but I have read some posts about flats being in pleasant. I have caught a few smaller ones this month while striper fishing more shallow areas. Going out this week targeting only big flats and not stripers.... any tips? or pics or larger flats that anyone has landed at Pleasant? Thanks guys.

Fishfeen likes this.
  2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Dustin, Welcome to the BOC for here at the beach at Los Angles.... I have not fished Pleasant as of yet.... but hang in their and some "locals" should pick up the post and give you some helps..... For myself, its a 300 mile trip to Yuma and the Colorado river which I have been doing every other week end....(not that the price of gas is affordable), but I'm trying for flats and get some along the way....

bayrunner ray

3. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Welcome to the BOC. I have heard alot of stories about flatheads being in there too. I haven't really tried to fish there since i have first heard they are in there. I have yet to still see a picture of a flathead with LP in the backround.
    I'm sure they are there, but it would just be nice to get some confirmation with a good pic. I was wondering what i was going to do tomorrow. I think i'll try pleasant in the day time.

4. Blue709995

Blue709995 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I do a lot of bass fishing.. tournys and just for fun and striper fishing. I started getting interested in flathead fishing a few years ago. i really wanted to catch a huge cat. My buddy and I have fished Roosevelt and Bartlet like five times and never hooked one. Always had a at least one run a night but never hooked one. now in the last month we have pulled five out of Pleasant. Kinda strange. I took pics with a disposable camera (my digital broke) and released them all. Getting them developed today. Will post the pics ASAP. I'm hooked. Want to get a bigger one lol.

5. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks. That is great to hear. Have you been catching any in the day time or all night fishing? I'd love to see those pics.

6. Blue709995

Blue709995 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I get them all at night. I get to the lake when it gets dark. I set up once I get a get a sunfish I throw it on a 7/0 circle hook and send it down. It is kinda strange because I catch them from 30 to 60 ft deep. Maybe they think they are stripers.. lol.. I'll be out there Monday or tues night for stripers with my little brother and thurs only for cats with my friend.. no green lights.... I have heard they scare the big cats. I guess they don't scare the ten pounders :big_smile:

7. aburk

aburk New Member

State:
    Tucson, AZ
    Looks like i should make it over there soon

8. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Well, i still didn't make it there. Ended up partying umtil 5am sunday morning and passed out. :crazy: I'll make it there this weekend. Maybe.

9. Blue709995

Blue709995 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    lol I know how that is... I went last night for stripers. You can catch them as fast as you can drop some bait down... if you like catching six inch fish. It was so hard to get a bait down below them to the 60 foot range. I only got it down there a few times. Lost one good one and landed another.. it was only three pouds... but compared to a six inch one it was huge. I think I might try castle tomorrow night then I will be fishing all night thurs night to try and get a bigger flat.

If any one knows how where or how to get into some nicer stripers i wold love that info too. Thx guys

10. Blue709995

Blue709995 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    So I went out to pleasant for flats last night. fished mid way back in castle. My buddy got his first flat.... only about three pounds but its a start.... at pleasant...kinda crazy. Caught a five pound carp and cut it up for bait. Got a 6lb 8oz channel that nearly drug my real in the water..one that doesn't have a bait clicker. Got three more runs set the hook in one.. got two pumps on it and the hook pulled.

Will be fishing again tonight. Probably on the east end of the lake.

11. Blue709995

Blue709995 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Got bait and fished from about eight pm to 1 am and didn't get a single run or bight or even a nibble. Guess that is how it goes sometimes. Will try again some time in the next few days

12. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    That about sums up most of my lake plesant expirences...

13. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I can't remember the last time I saw a post that included pictures of flats taken from Plesant... Can you get up the Augua Fria arm yet? I bet that is where I need to go for some flats this spring...

14. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
  15. Blue709995

Blue709995 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    ya fishing at Pleasant usually sucks... but it is only twenty minutes from my house so it is where I usually go. I usually fish for sripers but have grown tired of catching the unlimited supply of six inchers this year. I would rather fish alll night for a chance a big flat then catch fish the same size as a big shad.

I still need to get my disposable camera developed. Havent made the time. I'll post the pics of the ten pounders I have cought. My buddy and I have got I think five from eight to ten pounds and got one that was about three.

I went last night for a few hours mostly to try and get some bait for tonight.
    I got one small channel and about a two pound carp. steaked it up and am going out tonight to use it. Hope get a good run

16. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    You must live real close to me. I am only about 20 minutes from LP. 7th ave n 101 here. We'll have to get together sometime. I haven't been out in about a month so i'm due to go. Andy, i think they close most of the Augua Fria arm mid November til June for the Eagles nest. At least they use to do that.

17. Blue709995

Blue709995 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thank you AZ Flats and everyone else for the welth of information on this sight. If it wasn't for you guys I would never have thought about using cut carp for flats.... always read that they only eat live bait.

Been fishing lately out of castle from shore. Kinda a pain in the but to bring the Kayak out by my self.

I really been wanting to fish the Aqua Fria arm becasue it closes Dec 15 and doesn't reopen till June 15. But that is a hell of a distance to kayak by myself. and now that access from table mesa road is closed for good due to people that litter you can only get ther from the main lake.

my buddy and I are going to try and make a trip out of it and hit the lake on sunday afternoon and Kayak (in our 17 foot two person kayak) up the agua fria arm and stay all night.

Was just going to try some spots... some deep trees and channel bends next to flats.

If any one knows of an area in the river that has produced in the past please let me know.

18. Blue709995

Blue709995 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Travis I live off of lake pleasant and deer valley. Just sent me amessage and let me know when ever you are down to go. I go by myself half the time. It's just that I'm shore bound for now. or in my Kayak. Getting a boat as soon as possible.... Really want to see if I can get a flat over ten out of Pleasant... like a 40+ lol

19. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Pretty much, the stripers have made that lake crap.

20. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Can you get up the river end in a full size boat, or do you need to have a canoe or jon or something?