Lake Pleasant fishing for flathead catfish!!!

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfishhunter3, Jan 26, 2008.

1. catfishhunter3

catfishhunter3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i dont have a boat yet, looking to get one soon before the spring run starts. i was wanting to know if anyone knows of any good spots to fish for flatties from the shore in pleasant for the meantime... i have had some luck catching channels back in eagle closure off of table mesa road in the warmer months when its warmer and open but i dont know of anywhere to fish when its closed in the summer... any info would help... thanks

2. Blue709995

Blue709995 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Fishing for any species is so hit and miss for me at Pleasant. I have got some flats midway back in Castle I have caught most of them on that island just outside the tire line in the marina. And I got the biggest one in eagles pass.
    Me and four of my friends fished all night two weeks ago at Pleasant with only one small channel to show. We four wheeled to the back side of Humbug cove. Every boat in the cove that next morning (about 15) was saying the stripers were off the hook at that exact spot that we were at the two weeks before but not one boat pulled a fish out of there all day. We fished from six pm Sunday to five pm Monday.
    My biggest obstacle has been getting bait. If you can catch shad or blue gills with a throw net then your doing good. I haven’t had much luck this month with bait.
    We always have at least two rods out with carp bait trying to get bait. Usually we will get at least two a night for cut bait but the last two times we have been out we haven’t got a single carp.
    There are many good trails you can take to get to spots in Castle, Bass bay, Goose bay, Coles cove, and Humbug. You can see them pretty well with Google earth. They branch off from the road to the north ramp at the T where you would usually turn right to go to the pay booth. Instead turn left and take the dirt road back. The one that goes over the culverts in the back of castle.
    Good luck if you go. I haven’t had much luck lately.
    Think I’m going Friday night for stripers at the marina with my Kayak.
    Hope this helps a little.
    Let us know how you do :big_smile:

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hey Dustin,
    Good info right there...
    ~ Good luck at Pleasent on Friday.... I wish I can go, my equipment has a thinck layer of dust on it.. Pretty pathetic, I have not been fishing in over a month...

QUESTION: WHen you striper fish off your yak, do you bring a battery so you can float a light? Or do you just chum for them??

THanks~

4. Blue709995

Blue709995 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Lol I usually bring two small lawn mower batteries and have two green lights.
    They are bigger than a motorcycle batter and last all night with the long green lights. They will go dead in about six or seven hours with the bright glass type white ones (the best white lights I have found to work).

I also chum by cutting up the anchovies into pices about half the size of a peny. you can catch the six inchers with a crappi hook and that chum most nights as long as you want with a few random ones coming in at one to five punds.
    I usually set my friends (who have never fished) up with an ultra light and they have a ball catching 20 to 50 a trip :smile2:

I catch the bigger ones more consistanty with one third to half of an achovie on a smaller light wire circle hook and six or 8 pund leaders. I use 20lb braided main line to get rid of the stretch factor because I find most of the bigger ones to consistantly hold from 80 to 40 feet deep. It is hard to get the bait past the tiny ones thoug, becaus I have found the stripers to be very line shy and weary of weights. So i try and use as little weight as possible but too light and the little ones will pick the bait befor it even gets twenty feet down.

5. catfishhunter3

catfishhunter3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    thanks a lot man... very helpful info here... i really appreciate it and good luck tonight with the stripers