Lake Pleasant Catfish

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by MattyGfishing, Jan 10, 2009.

1. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    I shore fish and I can't seem to hook or attract any channel cats here, What sort of bait(s) would you suggest? Is my line too heavy (10lbs), should I use a fluorocarbon leader? Are the fish too far from shore?

2. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Welcome Matthew, You will get some some tips on here for fishing Lake Pleasant i am sure. I have not fished Lake Pleasant myself. You want to check Arizona game and fish dept., sometimes has good tips on certain areas. Again welcome to the BOC!

3. jaytee

jaytee New Member

State:
    arizona
    I bank fish at plez and prefer narrow coves, use a cigar float on ur leader to suspend the bait a few inches off the bottom. The usual baits will do such as crawlers,hot dog and anchovie. In the coves you dont need to cast far, a short cast and shallow water 4ft or so will produce. Use two poles and set at different distances into the water.If theres structure such as a submerged tree cast near the structure. I set 30min or so and move the lines around to cover area. remember to use a bell and check ur baits cuz there are thieves in the shallows. I have noticed that shallow water near structure has been more productive than casting into the abyss. As far as a good spot leave early and take a cruise around access areas to find a spot. At this time of year the cats are less aggresive so try to have your lines out at sunlight or sundown. Goodluck.

4. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    I am with James, never forget nightcrawlers. As you fish for live bait with nightcrawlers, sometimes you get a surprise. One day last week i went to Roosevelt fishing with cut bait on my flathead rod and had a nightcrawler on my [bluegill rod. pushbutton 6 lb. $15. setup]. I got a light bite on my bluegill rod i slowly reeled the fish in thinking it was possibly a carp. It was a 5# channel cat. It was a light bite, this time of year i suggest fishing with an open bail or little restriction on your bait. I know that channel cat would have broke my line in the middle of summer on his first run.

5. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hey matt.I always fish from the shore by the north ramp.I use chicken liver. It works well and also catches some nice bitting and fighting striped bass.

6. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    My favorite channel bait is live minnows off the bottom. Chum a little corn to get'em perked up. double hook rigs are good weight on the bottom double set of size 6 worm hooks above with 2 minnows on each or 1 big minnow on each. Next has to be shrimp with size 4 wide gap hooks. Every fish in the world loves crawlers it's just a rule!!!! God put'em in the earth for fish and fisherman. Good luck
    td

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yep, At one time or another,, Night crawlers have caught every species of fish I've Never fished for??? :wink::smile2::eek:oooh: Baitfish, All brands of bass, all types of cats,, carp,,, Nightcrawlers have produced...

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Are you trying to bank fish a lake or river?

If you strickly is trying to catch channels in particularly the one bait that will work winter, spring, summer , and fall is stink bait, like sonny's or wicked sticky. You can always catch channels on that no matter what. If channels are there, they will bite it. Especially in a river setting or canal where moving water is the issue. Otherwise if fishing from the bank this time of year I would try to find an area that has access to deeper water. Cooling temps means deeper fishing per say. Shallow grounds is not where you want to fish as catfish move according to the seasons to different areas of the lake and river. Boat fishing tends to be the better deal for finding cats in the winter for a more consistant bite. Of course you may catch a swaggler, but you want to find that school, and generally wintering channels are schooling fish. If you find one or two, you can find more. You always want to have an arsenal of bait to throw at them including what others listed earlier and stink bait should always be present too.