Lake Piru?

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by keenphis, Jul 30, 2007.

1. keenphis

keenphis New Member

State:
    SantaPaula, Callifornia
    Well first hello to everyone. I Lve in Santa Paula and Lake Piru is just up the road. I went up there today and tried some catfishing with my son. We were just fishing for the bank. I tried about four differnt spots and rigged every wich way I could think of. I also tried baits that arranged from night carwlers, mackerel, stink bait and even hot dogs.
    I talked with the guy at the marina and he said he knows that they are in there but said that the catfishing has not been good in the last couple of years. He did not know if it was that people were not fishing for them or what.
    If any of ya'll know anything about this lake I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Well first off welcome to the BOC Cody,Always glad to see a new cali member here.......... Don't know about that lake your talking about are you from the La area?

3. keenphis

keenphis New Member

State:
    SantaPaula, Callifornia
    The lake is just off of the 126. I am in Ventura county.

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Cody, Hi, and welcome to the BOC... I use to camp and fish there many years ago, and have had luck on LM bass and trout there. I'm not sure if they stock the lake with cats..... If you have a boat, there is a creek that runs into it when there is water is running, and the cats that I have heard about are taken from the cuts up near the dam, where it is a long hike down to the edge of the water....like I mentioned...been some 20 years as I go to other lakes that have been more productive for me..... Casitas, Castaic. Not sure of the lake height as of now...... they use the water for irrigation, and there has been some fires around there resently......

good luck on future trips there.... bayrunner ray

5. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Welcome to the BOC Cody. I had the same experiance last time I went to Piru. Must have talked to the same guy at the boat dock 'cause he told me the same thing.
    I'm just over the hill in Canoga Park and run up to Castaic and Pyrimid when i want to soak bait. You get stripers to go with your cats that way.

6. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    They dont stock it with cats, but they need to. Ive been told the same thing, almost no cats caught in a long time, that was 2 years ago. I do remember catching some decent cats(7-8#) about 15 years ago on the west side of the dam. You are better off trying pyramid, casitas, or quail lake. We fished elizabeth about 3 weeks ago and saw huge swarms of 6-8" bullheads but only caught about 5 of them.

7. keenphis

keenphis New Member

State:
    SantaPaula, Callifornia
    Just want to say thanks guys. I think once I get a motor for my little jon boat I will hit it up again. But until then I will probably fish Casitas seeing as how it is not to far away, and I know I can get some catfish in from the bank.

8. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Cody, next time you decide to hit Casitas give me a shout. and I'll try and join you there. Maybe you can show me what I'm doing wrong. I haven't been able to get a bite fishing from the shore thare.

9. keenphis

keenphis New Member

State:
    SantaPaula, Callifornia
    Sounds like a goo idea. I have not had a chance to fish it yet, but I do know they are in there. I do not know when I will be able to go though. We are due for a baby on the sixth, and I am going out of town on the 17th, but I will give you a shout when I know more.