Lake Piru

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by big taz, Apr 29, 2007.

1. big taz

big taz New Member

State:
    california
    I went out on lake piru on friday and had a great day on the water. The sun was up water temp ranged from 65 in themorning to 70 that afternoon. Started off touring the west shoreline looking for spots that might hold crappie. Found some fishy spots and started throwing green flee flys with a little secret sauce on them. On the third cast bam bendo First victim a nice dark crappie had fallen victim. I continued to pick them off at various spots. The bite was slow. The fish where in most spots i hit but you had work for them. By the end of the day I had 9 crappie and 1 lmb on board. I moved farther north and anchored for a while and was schooled by the bass. I could not get them on board but had a great time trying. LMBs 6 Me 0. My partner finally caught one while throwing a chrome cast master for trout. The winds kicked up and we couldn't hold a spot so we headed over to the cove with the launch ramps and started picking off rainbows on lures. anything shinny was working. We all limited in short order and called it a day. My son photographed 3 does and we saw several covey of quail Great day on the water. I will try and post a few pics later..

2. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Now that sounds like a good day, thanks for sharing.

3. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Last time I was over to Piru the only thing going in was trout. I spoke to the guy at the boat dock tackle store and he told me there are very few catfish caught at Piru. He didn't have an answer to my question as to whether that was due to a scarcity of catfish or to a lack of people targeting them. I may give it another try soon as that lake is not too far away from home. I'm just not into Black Bass fishing although I do like to catch crappie.

4. big taz

big taz New Member

State:
    california
    I have only heard of anglers catching 1 or 2 cats every blue moon. I think it may be because they aren't going after them. I know as a child they were there when my dad and I used to go up there. I am sure they are still there, you just have to find their address...:0a36: :0a22:
    I know the LMB, crappie and bluegills are definately there. They also have a huge population of koi in there. I saw a very large area in one of the coves with moving orange spots so I had to investigate. When I got a closer look they were Koi or giant goldfish everywhere. They looked to be from 1/2 - 4+ lbs each.

5. hustlur

hustlur New Member

State:
    Orange County
    Thanks for sharing!!!!