Lake Perry!

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by deerhunter56, May 9, 2007.

1. deerhunter56

deerhunter56 Guest

anyone doin any good out of perry??? i know the flood mad the water come up and flatheads are gettin in cornfields and people are shooting them with bows. nice size ones at that 2

2. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Bowfishing

BOWFISHING

All waters are open to bowfishing, unless posted otherwise. Some bowfishing is permitted at city, county, township, or private lakes, but regulations vary, so bowfishermen should consult local rules. Fish which can be legally taken by bowfishing are nonsport fish. Crossbows are legal. Bowfishermen must have in possession a valid Kansas fishing license, unless exempt by law. Arrows must have barbed heads, and each arrow must be attached by a line to the bow and must be shot from the bow. Waters within 50 yards of an occupied boat dock or ramp, occupied swimming area, occupied picnic site or camping area, and other public-use areas are closed to bowfishing.

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/fishing/fishing_regulations/bowfishing

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

bow fishing for cats is way illeagel

4. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    So what is the lake level like now? Still flooded? I am wondering if a guy would be able to put in at the old town ramp by, say, Monday....?

5. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Haven't been up there since the highwater, but had a buddy who lives up that way say they were catching some quality cats along the flooded causeway.............don't know anymore but would guess they are bobber fishing parallel to the rocks.

Hope to make it out on Clinton this afternoon............I'm off M,T W so will have to get after it then.

6. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Made it out there Monday. Evidently they had not started letting any water out yet. The level was still very high. The only ramp I found accessable was still at sleu creek bridge. I went ahead and put in there but could not manage a bite to save my life. Shad were easy to come by though in the flooded coves. The wind picked up a lot more than it was supposed to. Made getting back accross the lake and getting the boat back on the trailer a challenge to say the least. All in all it was pretty much a wasted day.

7. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

whats a causeway charlie?

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i was looking at the map of perry lake awhile back and saw a place called flathead cove on it. anyone know that area?can you get there on shore or is a get there by boat kinda place?

9. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    The big stretch of rock that crosses the Wakarusa river at the back of Clinton is a causeway.

Flathead cove is accessible from shore, how it got it's name I don't know, but I can sure think of a couple million other places I'd rather fish for flatheads. It's just a little unspectacular cove..........probably loaded with mudcats:big_smile:

10. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i will have to drive out there and look i still have no idea what a causeway is..lol i never said i was bright.:lol:so flathead cove isnt a good spot?is there other spots at perry i should maybe look into instead?

11. Kansasgoose

Kansasgoose New Member

State:
    Hoyt, kansas
    anyone know if the ramp at old town is useable now?
    water was pretty high last time I was there, but thats been over a week now.

12. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    James, I'll be talking to a fellow that lives up that way this evening and will be sure and ask him about it. I'll post back up if I get any info.

13. Kansasgoose

Kansasgoose New Member

State:
    Hoyt, kansas
    Thanks Charlie. Hope you have good news to report

14. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    No word, he hasn't been up that way:confused2:.

I'll be swinging by there tomorrow evening, heading to the trolls house:lol:.

15. Kansasgoose

Kansasgoose New Member

State:
    Hoyt, kansas
    old town ramp is still underwater, but its useable by backing down the road. Would be tough with a deep draft boat, but the flatbottom slid in without much problem. Fished north of the bridge, caught two eater cats, and some gar. Fishing was really slow saturday. water is still dropping.

16. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

???????????????

17. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
  18. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas

I guess you missed it.

19. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

read the post again i got that apart

20. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Tom, I've never caught a flathead at Perry on purpose so can't give you much help that way.

James, good to see you again. As you know, bowfishing wasn't any better than regular fishing:sad2:. I'm waiting on some epoxy to show up so I can replace the floor in my Glastron boat, wife won't let me get a bigger boat for a while so I'm fixing the old boat up for fishing. Windsheild on the passenger side is gone(if passenger don't like that they can get their own ride,hehe), going to mount 6 rod holders on that side for drift fishing. Also plan on builiding a deck on the front for a pedistal seat and trolling motor, livewell will be the 115 quart cooler with recirulation pump. Poor folks, poor ways:smile2:.