Lake Paul A Wallace

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Bill in SC, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well, we went to drift Lake Wallace tonight, but there was NO wind, not much anyhow. The trolling motor worked like a champion. The only drawback was that Chris had to run the motor and keep the boat aimed right, whilst I pulled in all the fishes!! :wink: We had lines in the water 3 1/2 hours and caught nine, 1 channel and 8 blues. All fish were in the 3 to 5 pound range, with the exception of a 17 1/2 pound blue. He fought like the devil! ALL fish were caught drifting in 2 1/2 to 5 feet of water on fresh bream heads and one on a small live bream! Water temp was 83 1/2 degrees. Lake Wallace is kinda odd in that it is mostly flat and shallow. The creek bed is 8 to 13 feet, and the rest of the lake averages probably about 6 feet. Not many contours. We caught them feeding in the shallows tonight. I like drifting/trolling!! ZERO fuel consumption, NO anchor to put out and pull in, and no drift buckets out the back. Seems like lazy man's fishin' compared to river fishin'!! :wink: Anyhow, Lake Wallace is only about 4 1/2 miles from the house so I hope to drift it frequently. There's a few bigguns in there, and a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then. All fish were CPRed.

Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Congrats on the successful trip Bill and thanks for the report and pics.:wink:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks, Doug! Hope you are feeling better!

BB in SC

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    4 1/2 mi from you? Man, you a lucky buzzard Bill! Closest water is to me is 38 mi:sad2: Nice report on the drift and thanks for the pics!:wink:

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dang Bill, a new honeyhole for ya :wink: NICE!!!

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well, not exactly a "new" hole as I have fished it all my life. I caught a 30 and a 22 pounder there before they drained it in the early nineties to work on the dam. I was aware that cats were being caught there again. Last week a four foot long blue was posted in our local paper, having been caught by some young guy. 99.9% of the folks who fish it, fish off the bank. I anchor fished it earlier this year with no success. The drifting has opened up a new world for me to cover LOTS of ground! BTW: One of the fish I caught last night had a hook and leader in his mouth. First fish I ever caught that had a hook in him. It fell out when I landed the fish. I'm still stoked at how hard the 17.5# blue fought! That dude was peeling off drag, and fought a LONG time. On one run, he dang new drug me off the Blunt and into the water! I was expecting at least a 25 or 30 pound fish, but was still very pleased with what I got. The biggun was caught off Chris' Penn reel and 'Big Game' rod. Might be why he caught me off guard when he likened to drug me in! :smile2::wink::smile2: It's only a 600 acre lake, and NO one who fishes there CPRs fish. I occasionally throw a blue I caught in the river in there. I also won't be telling the locals of my success, due to the fact that no one does CPR the fish. Don't want to start a frenzy! :big_smile: I'll just let 'em wonder why that guy with the big red boat and blue LED lights keeps comin' back out there a few times each week! :wink: Dang, now I have to buy at least a half dozen new rods and reels so I don't have to keep changing from my lake setup to the river setup! :eek:oooh:

BB

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    ill you are getting fishing down to a science. Close to home,no fuel, no extra gear, drifting slowly across the lake. Lazy for sure. Congrats.

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bill, where's the blues in that lake coming from? Ya oughta check it for flatties too!

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Might be some in there is someone put some in. There isn't much structure at all in the lake. Only a few Christmas trees put in for the crappie.

BB

10. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Sounds like another Bill success story to me. You always find the fish!