Lake Patagonia flathead catfish

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Apache Flats, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Hi all this is my first thread. Does anyone know if flatheads are still biting at
    Patty? Also do you know what spots to fish? I would be fishing from a small
    boat after thanksgiving day. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. aburk

aburk New Member

State:
    Tucson, AZ
    I heard there is some nice flatheads in patagonia, you should try pena blanca for some huge channels

3. Pappy B

Pappy B Guest

YOU'RE GONNA NEED A BIGGER BOAT.:crazy:

4. SPJ

SPJ New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Patagonia Flathead fishers, I would like to update this post since I am new to AZ flathead fishing and will primarily be shore fishing (hopefully I can convince the wife to let me buy a boat).

My efforts have been isolated to the picnic areas. Is this a reasonable location to get flats from or should I try the beach area near the north parking lot?

My first night I was using the northerly picnic spot and casting hard straight north into, according to the topographic map, the deep channel. While doing this, I noted no bait fish action and after reeling in, they were dead. Could this be due to the extreme depth or dragging the bait submerged weeds?

My next step was using a slip float about 5' off the bottom to keep the bait alive. I started doing this because, for one, the bait fish are all over these cattails, and two I was hearing massive fish sounds coming from these reed beds - these were loud banging/smashing fish attack sounds. I didn't get a bite though. Then I realized that these may be males guarding the fry and they typically starve themselves. Could these sounds be coming from something else? If these are flats, which I believe they are (I don't think there is anything else large enough in this lake to make these sounds), does anyone have any tricks to get these flats?

Lastly, what shore tactics are you guys using? Where are other possible spots to shore fish aside from along the picnic area to the north parking lot beach? What are the local hot spots? Any advise would be much appreciated!

V/R Sean

5. Tucson_flats

Tucson_flats New Member

State:
    AZ
    I was there last weekend, some nice flathead fisherman were at the marina ready to launch and the husband said his wife caught a 42lb'er recently.....

6. SPJ

SPJ New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey folks, gonna hit the lake this weekend at least one night. I'm going to try 2 different spots with poles deep and shallow. Probably slip bobber setup near the reed line and attempts at targeting the main channel. Wish me luck folks!

7. Tucson_flats

Tucson_flats New Member

State:
    AZ
    My family is distracted with an activity this Friday , so I think I'll be fishing patty from 7 to 11 pm from shore.

good luck!

8. SPJ

SPJ New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Good luck to you as well. Tell me how it goes!

9. SPJ

SPJ New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Shore-fished Patty early this morning 4:00 am till noon. Not a single bite, however, I feel like it was a success because my baits stayed fresh and I didn't lose any tackle this time -used a drop shot rig. One of the spots I fished was west of the beach. It was way crowded and a boater, super close to the shore, ended up catching one of my lines, pulling almost all the line out of it. Luckily I was able to cut the line, losing only my rig and line. The lake was so crowded people were just swimming around the lake. Last place I tried was the picnic area. After having several people swim by on tubes and like 4 large boats cruising through, I decided to pack up. Too dangerous.

One good thing that happened was that my wife finally gave me the ok to buy a boat. Luckily I don't have to put up with shore fishing very much longer! Thank you jerk in the boat who knowingly ran over my line and kept going nearly pulling my pole in the water!

10. manofewords

manofewords New Member

State:
    arizona
    It's a good thing you cut your line to save your rod and reel. Hopefully your line got wrapped around his prop several thousand times. That usually cuts the oil seals and they take on water. That will make him think twice about going close to bank fishermen again. I had my kids at bart many years ago and this guy on a jet ski kept coming in real close while we were swimming, he was trying to spray us but I was worried he would hit one of my kids. I had a 11' ugly stick with 30 lb mono. I tied on about two oz. sinker and a large treble hook and almost got him on his next pass through. He didn't come back!

11. Tucson_flats

Tucson_flats New Member

State:
    AZ
    Yeah, that line wrapped around the prop can cause havoc on the seals..

If you noticed on my thread, I didn't catch crap either Friday night.. PM me and let's compare notes..

The cove to the east of the sandy beach looks good, but usually there's a lot of activity until 10:00 PM.. There's typically kids swimming and screaming in that cove, flat heads need quiet..