Lake Pat Cleburne in Texas

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by TexasCatfish, Apr 9, 2006.

1. TexasCatfish

TexasCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    Went out there this evening at around 7 pm to try and get some flatheads. I had never used slip float rigs before, so I decided to give them a try, because I've heard a lot of good thing about them. I had a couple lines out with live perch on them about three feet down or so probably 50 feet from shore. Within 5 minutes one of the floats took off across the water and bent my pole over, and it turned out to be a channel. Got another one after that as well. They were only about three pounds, but it sure amazed me that they could fit those entire perch into their mouths. I couldn't say that I was suprised at the fact that I caught channels on live perch, because I have caught some pretty large ones out of the river on them too. I have taken quite a liking to slip floats, seeing as how it's a lot more stimulating to watch than fishing straight off the bottom as well as quite effective. It also gives you a better understanding of catfish behavior, because contrary to what we have been told throughout our lives about the way that catfish feed (channels eat horrible smelling things, and feed off the bottom, ect..) it can be seen that they are actually quite a bit more versatile than it was once believed.

2. Quackcephus

Quackcephus New Member

State:
    TX
    Day in & day out, in my experiance, live bream will out catch any of the other baits. :thumbsup:

Ya oughta try that set-up on the Brazos or Nolan River's, especially if you can find a log, big rock, etc. in the water (structure) that might be holdin' a few fish.

:0a26:

3. Catfisher

Catfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    Nick,

Great story. I'll have to do a little research on how to rig up the slip floats like you did. Just a curious question for you, though. How big were the perch you used for bait? Did you trim their tails at all? Did you make 'em bleed a little before you threw them out?

Sounds like a good bit of eating size channels.

Congrats.

Gary

4. TexasCatfish

TexasCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    The perch were mid sized (Possibly more on the small end, 3-4 1/2" long or so). Looking at the perch and the channels you wouldn't expect that they would be able to fix them in their mouths, but they have no problem at all and I actually have caught more channels big and small on larger perch than on smaller ones. I didn't trim their tales, didn't cut them at all in fact. Just hooked them behind the dorsal fin with a circle hook and let them do their thing. Was actually quite a bit impressed with its effectiveness. I caught a 5 or so pound blue today using floats with cut shad.

P.S. I just bought a new throw net because I ripped my last one up on wed. If any experienced net throwers haven't tried a nylon net, I'd suggesting giving it a try the next time you blow out a net. This is the first nylon net I've tried, and I really prefer it now over mono. It is a lot softer, opens up much easier, and is much more compact. Downside is that it will probably rip up much easier, so experience with nets should be taken into consideration. :)

5. bluesbro

bluesbro New Member

State:
    tex
    My uncle used to catch big flatheads out of this lake. My brother in law just moved from Cleburne and visited with a man that used big rods and perch but he fished on the bottom with a slip sinker.