Lake Ovid - Still Cold

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by uapipefitter, Apr 4, 2007.

1. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Went to Lake Ovid Monday and Sessions on Tuesday. Water temps around 52 deg. still. No bites, fished various depths with cut bait for about 4 hours a piece. Took care of the cabin fever though and got me out of the house.Trying to log in some hours on Sessions.Contours on it look promising.Lots of points and underwater structure.Hooked trees and logs in 40 feet of water! Couple more weeks should be good to go.

2. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Thanks for the report!
    Sessions looks to me like a good place to try drifting, maybe with cut bait, minnows, and crawlers on Lindy Rigs.
    You need a State Park sticker, right? Any additional permit to launch or anything? Did you get a water temp at Sessions, 52 there too?
    Thanks,
    Tony

3. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Tony, the water temp at Sessions was one degree warmer in the cove I mainly fished. I fished the cut in right beside the launch.A small creek flows in and the water really drops off from 7 to 25 feet into the old channel from the mouth of the cove. Fished there from about 5 to 9 with no luck. At dark I went up by the dam in 45 feet of water and with a east wind drift fished across the point (20 feet deep) back into 40+.I was using fresh cut bait, two poles, 3/4 oz. bell sinker,18 inches of line, three way swivel,one foot of leader to a #2/0 hook. A LOT OF SNAGS. Broke off three times in short time of drifting(20 min.)Pulled up two foot stick when one finally broke loose. Really exicited about this summer out there when not flatheading.In the 40 foot water range it was 52+or- a degree. Probly 40 degrees now with winter back...lol.

4. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Sessions looks like you will need a state park sticker, I believe. Right now, nobody around.The booth is closed up and the gates are open. Called a gal at the park last Monday and the there is a sign that says they close the park at 10 pm but that is just the campground not the park where the launch is. She said they don't close the main gates so you could fish all night if you wanted. It's a nice paved launch, with a dock and plenty of parking. Did I mention that the intire lake is wake free? So it should be a nice santuary from the weekend jet skiers and speedboaters.