Lake Ouachita 2005

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by tobystan_2000, May 24, 2007.

1. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    My family usually camps for about a week at Lake Ouachita every June. Well, 2 years ago we were out on the lake fishing for Bream (the bream there are awesome). As we were about to put in there was a gentleman pulling up to the bank with 20-25 lb catfish. I always wondered where he found them. How did he fish for them. You know, the water there is exceptionally deep. Any and all ideas/information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch for an old Texas boy!!

2. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    First off, let me say, welcome to the boc.

Toby - can't tell you where he found them, but can tell you that that lake holds the next potential state record or better! The Arkansas Sportsman magazine had a article on the states best catfishing lakes and river pools last month! Lake Ouachita is included in this article.

The current state-record channel cat, a 38 pounder was caught in June of 1989 out of Lake Quachita. There has been 60 to 80 pound blues landed as well as a 100 pound blue caught in 2005. There has been over 50 pound Flatheads taken there as well.

In order to get to those fish, you have to target extremely deep holes and ledges , dense brush piles and deep woody structures along creek and river channels! These fish will feed mostly at night due to the crystal clear water!

Most all this information came from the article in the Arkansas Sportsman magazine.

You are right about the bream. I have caught bream out of there like you wouldn't beleive! They put up a fight as big as any bass, and have some awesome slabs of meat on them. I love to fillet them! Nothing as good as Bream fillets, with the exception of Catfish.

Hollar at me some time! We will see if we can't catch some of those nice cats!

3. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Toby- Drop me a PM and let me know when you will be there. maybe I can come hook up with ya and do some fishing!

4. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have an Aunt and Uncle that live near Benton, Pine Bluff, Crossroads, etc. He works for the rail road. They moved from Texas about 8 years ago and he was a huge fisherman. He grew up on Lake Tawakoni Texas which is east of Dallas about 45 minutes. Tawakoni is the catfish capital of Texas. Now, when I talk to them after limiting out pretty much every time we've been this year. All they can say is "arggg, no fish in Arkansas". So, it would be awesome to put him on some fish.

Anyway, we usually go in June sometime guys. I'll post the solid dates when I get them. Not sure if I'll make it but would love to. If I do we'll have to hook up and go find 'em.

Thanks for all the information guys.

5. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Toby- just let me know when. I will try to get down to Quachita and see if i can't find some before we get there!

6. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Will do brother. Thanks a million.

Happy fishing.

7. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    some friend of mine used to go down there and catfish theyset jugs with big anchor weights in the deep holes several hooks on each line to cover different depths the pics they came back with were awsome 10-15 30lb+ for each day fished. they used goldfish and big shiners for bait.
    boliver

8. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Are there cats in those 200' deep holes??

My uncle's just sick. He's an old Lake Tawakoni, TX catfisherman. He grew up on that lake. It's been years since he's been able to fish it. Everytime we talk to him we tell him about our success out there. We bagged 73 between 3 people this past Monday. It was alot of fun.

Thanks for any information guys.

9. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Might be! But, I would hate to have to wind up that much line on each Jug!

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Amen to that! I've got a few anchored jugs that have 75' of line on them, and that's a big wad of line.

11. Jacob W

Jacob W New Member

State:
    Arkansas & Oklahoma
    I have been going to Ouchita since i can remember, however, I have never tried catfishing there. They are all bass fisherman but i could care less about casting 1.8 million times a day. Awesome lake though!

Let me know how you do. I may give it a shot the next time Im down there.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I catfished Ouachita only one time, and that was more years ago than I want to admit to. A big bunch of us were camping SW of Avant, and my buddy and I had volunteered to furnish catfish for a fish fry. We put out several trotlines in coves that had both a channel and woody cover. The first night, we baited with cut shad, but didn't have any luck. Desperate, we went to the store and bought several tubs of chicken livers. Baited with them the second night, and did real good. Got enough fish for the fish fry. Personally, I've never had much luck fishing those deep, clear mountain lakes. Probably because I mostly fish the river, and just haven't learned the secrets for fishing that type of water.

13. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas

There should be some nice cats there. I live on Nimrod just north of there and we wear em out on pole and noodles every summer. We bait noodles with bream and pole fish with catalpa worms. Nimrod is famous for Crappie ,but catfishing is awsome.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    What area of Nimrod do you jugfish? Most of my fishing on Nimrod was for bass in the Carter Cove area. Haven't fished Nimrod in years.

15. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Alright fellas we'll be there late Thursday night. Will fish Friday and Saturday. Possibly even Sunday morning--early. Then unfortunately it's back to TX. I hope the weather cooperates.
    \
    Anyone had any luck out there with the cats lately. I hope we can find them. One thing's for sure, we're definitely looking forward to those Arkansas Blue Gill Slabs.

Any information as far as how and where to fish will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch BOC Brothers.

16. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Toby - will see what i can do. That is the weekend of the wife's B-day, so it may be a iffy. But, Johnnie(Poisonpits) might be able to help you out if i can't make it. Am going to do my best to get down there. Where are you planning on camping?

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    toby pm me with your camp sit or motel room number and i will try to put you on some catfish.

18. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I believe it's the state park near Crystal Springs Resort, Mt. Ida. We don't have a campsite yet. My relatives will arrive today and try to get us one. We'll be tent camping.

By the way, do you think we can catch any by rod and reel. All I have are 4 jugs that have 20' of line on them? Just curious. If I need to get a trot line put together I can do that too.

Thanks a million guys!!!

19. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    toby if you cant get a camp number byfriday noon ill meet you at the mountain harbor boat ramp at 6 and show you a place to catch trophy cats no 100% but they are there.then sat.morning we can put in at 27 hyway and go up river for rod and reel fishing.do you have room on your boat or do i need to bring mine.johnnie

20. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    All I have is a 16' aluminum bass boat. kinda small. I'll have one adult and 7 year old with me. My uncle, if he wants to join us, also has about a 16' aluminum boat. If he goes, he might only have one adult with him. I'll know more once I get to the lake on Thursday and would be gladd to call you.

Man, I sure appreciate the help.