Lake Otay yet?

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by low desert jonathan, Oct 18, 2009.

1. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    Any reports on Lake Otay yet this fall season even though it got hot again or did this heat wave upset the blue bite?:confused2:

2. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    One of my buddies got broke off on a snagg a few weeks ago and there has been some smaller grade ones show. A lot of my buds is still fishing Irvine until the end of the season like Catmando who got a 59 pounder last week and a 48 or 45 pound sturgeon this past weekend. Reports at Otay show a near 30 pound cat caught last week at Otay don't know if it was a channel or a blue. Should be a good year there this year I know Catmando and I are looking at getting 5 giants each this season as we know a few areas that are blue areas. Its a one bite a day or so deal for the most part, but they are big blue spots. We will start making our way in November. I will be going that way the usual two times a month that I do. Have a few buddies live in the neighborhood around Otay lake off of Telegraph rd so may make a few weekend shots as well during the winter season.

3. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Keep in mind these are channels not blues. The blue bite at Otay is always slower due to the sheer numbers of them in there. Its been a little while since a good number of blues in and size has been reported there. The actual reported catches has not been advertised as well lately.

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Here is the past weeks report.

There were 157 anglers checked who reported catching 92 bass to 4.8 pounds, 119 bluegill, and 16 catfish to 29.5 pounds. The lake is open on a Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday schedule. The lake will not be renting boats November, December, or January. Lake information.

For specifics as far as numbers and species of fish this is the page to check weekly as they give a thorough check and count.

http://www.sandiego.gov/water/recreation/fish.shtml

The 29 pounder caught was a channel cat for the week up to the 11th. Don't know after that though for the following week.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  5. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    For one if people are leaving the lake w/o reporting the catches they are wrong. That is what the people are there for to maintain an accurate account of who and what is being taken out of the lake. Whenever you return to the dock or even return your boat they are there to ask the question. As far as I am concerned. If it is not reported, it is not caught. Especially a 30 pound blue cat. It is rediculous for anytone to make such a catch and not report it. Just being realistic now. You need to maintain more ethics in your peeps if they are doing such tactics.

Besides the other webiste is the cream on the cake. Its the offical reporting website for San Diego City Lakes. Anything else is secondary information.

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    What old timers you are talking about? The old timers I know report their catches there. You must be talking about some other old timers. They report the catches to the lake officials - not internet sources. Fame or no fame, it called ethics and proper fishing manners.

Most people who do not report their catches to the lake officials are the very same people that poach the lake keeping over the limit. I hope that is not what you are promoting.

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    No I dont know what you mean. People fishing on grounds like that is doing the lake a disservice and is not following lake rules. Like I said most who do that is poaching the lake. You need to advise people to do otherwise and follow lake rules.

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Maybe so. But I do know using 6 rods and not following DFG rules definitely is poaching and deserves the fine they receive.

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yea mon. Not my style. Remember I told you about the dangers of crossing lines. Never use lots of lines when trophy hunting or you can maybe have a 30 pound flathead that will wrapped you up in at the back of the boat in current and you can farm it. Or was it a 50 pounder my bad.

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Its all good in the hood especially when one stating such has never caught a trophy blue. Other peoples holes? Maybe. I always give props to those that show me the deal since 1994 with the super fish club back in the days. Especially at Otay and San Vicente. However I do not generally have a guide marking GPS on my finder. I seem to do better without it and in a rental boat for some reason. Goes to show that instincts still work. You shoud do well this year my friend since you have the holes on GPS. I am looking forward to some big catches from you if you can get one.

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    You dont need to be famous or be for fame. Blues range from 5 pounds on to 100 plus at Otay. So if you catch a 5 pounder or a 100 pounder, you need to let the workers know so that could be a part of the count - kept or not. They could assume otherwise if that is not being done. Its a bad precedent to set at a DFG ran lake. Thats why limits are in place and rules are set. Even if you release 5 catfish you still have your limit according to the DFG.

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Another note about reporting the catches is that these lakes have the rule establish to know what is the weekly catches from 1 ounce to 100 pounds. Regardless if the catch was released or not, it has to be reported. Weekly fish reports are established this way. Its not about glory or fame, its about what is biting and what is not biting. Example the bass counts - 90 percent of those are released, however they are still reported. These lakes are not like open waters in the midwest and south. They are ran by City or county and some state. So they put these rules in order and they must be followed. Failure to do so and getting caught can make for changes being made for the worse as they can make for false assumptions like something being held - even if you are with the best intentions, not everyone is like that and they can make things worse for us. Someone could get caught with fish and not reporting it and they can put everyone else in a bad light.

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    No need to pass it on to the old timers I know as they have integrity and would not pull stuff like that. Lets keep it right and follow lake procedures and report what we caught from here on out. Lets show that catfisherman have just as much integrity as the bass fisherman there. As long as we represent well all will be look at as well for what we do. :big_smile:
    See ya on the water soon, I may show up this weekend as well it all depends. I am being pulled in another direction this weekend for a get together with high school mates in the IE area I have not seen them in a while unless on facebook. A few of them is still cute so I may play the fish role and attack the bait this time. LOL

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  14. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    With all of the various open and closed times down at the San Diego lakes, I did an inquirey and did an emil to the manager of the lakes....

Here is an "official" comment on reporting....

"If you are stopped by a LakeRanger or staff member and they ask to see your fish, they are just doing their jobs and checking to make sure all fish are legal size and you are at or below your limit. Fish and Game also comes out to the lakes and checks this as well as for State fishing licenses.

We do like to know what people are catching so we can share with others and it helps our biologist keep track of the number of fish and make projections.

But, we don’t expect every fisherman to go out of his way to find a staff person to show his fish too. There is no requirement for you to report your catch. If staff sees you getting ready to leave they may ask what you caught just for our statistics".

Sharon Smith
    CityLakes Office Manager
    619-668-2072

Might have to get down that way on my Winter Break from teaching...

Bayrunner Ray

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks you beat me to that I was going to do the same thing just did not get to it yet about hitting them up. I did the same inquiry about the no culling period they have for a few months in the winter time. Normally occurs when they do not rent boats and this year its 3 months as opposed to the regular 2 months.

One thing I can say about that is everytime I go there and return they are there to ask me. Especially in the evening time as they have their recording sheets and that is how they add numbers for the weekly reports. Its pretty hard to miss them unless you come in early or mid day.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  16. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    "Right on Kieth".... glad to post the infor....

Bayrunner Ray....

17. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the help Brian LDJ:big_smile:

18. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    For sure remember they are just doing their job when they ask. Would hate to see what happens if you say there is no rule that I have to show you my fish. LOl. May get a fat ticket or 86ed. 9 times out of ten they are always doing there job there, except when there is a no culling period. Heck people even cheat by not paying to fish doing those few months because the staff is not around. So you have to use the pay stations they have.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    BTW I got word someone caught an 80 pound class blue yesterday from one of my buddies that went fishing there yesterday. Pretty pretty good if ya ask me so the big ones are roaming. :wink:

20. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Just boosting the spirits up yall for the big blues. :smile2:

I plan to film a few more of these this year if I can. Have to get some ladies to roll out with me though and of course some of the close homies. D cat rat, Omar, and a few others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB9BuoYAl6Q