Lake Orange on 06/27/08

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rebcatman, Jun 29, 2008.

1. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    We went fishing Friday night at lake Orange and got skunked. We were using stink bait, clam snouts, and night crawlers for bait. I'm not sure what was going on, but nobody was catching fish.

2. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Wow, that's tough...and there I thought Lake Orange was such a great place to fish!

I stopped by Lake Curtis a week ago on the way back from Patuxent River. Since I pass by there, I figured I would throw a change of clothes and some tackle in the back of the car just in case I was able get free early enough. It was great that everything worked out!

I was impressed with the action, catching a couple of nice bass in the short time I was there. There was a good top feeding in progress, and I wished I had brought along my fly rod. This is definitely a good lake for fly fishing; I'm planning a kayak trip down there when I can get a chance, too.

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Tom - that's how it goes sometimes. At least you were out fishing.

Now might be a good time to head back to the river's to fish. I remember you were going during the peak of the spawn a month or so ago, but now it looks like things are picking up a little.

4. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I've not had much luck at Curtis, but then again, I have only fished it a couple of times......

I fished the Potomac a week ago and we caught a few small fish, the largest was only about 5 pounds. We are going to give it another try this Saturday.

5. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Spawn may be in full swing and that will get you skunked quick...i had it happen to me more times than i'd like to admit.:embarassed:

6. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Yup that has happened to me a few times as well. Though, I did not think the catfish spawned in Lake Orange, since channels seem to not be able to spawn well in lakes.

7. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina

i am not sure about lake orange but to my knowledge channel cats spawn in lakes just as well as any river or other body of water...take lake anna for example...supposedly that lake only has channels in it so there are no blues or faltheads...and i can tell you from my personal expierence that there are alot of big channels to be caught in that lake...i have fished there and had days where the average fish was 6 to 8 lbs and have also caught plenty of small channels in my cast net when catching bait...there's a ton of channels in lake anna and i'm pretty sure the DNR is not stocking it...that lake has a "natural spawning population"...we have a lake here in SC that is mostly channels and a few faltheads and even a few blues are starting to show up but the channels spawn all over this lake...they spawn from the dam to the rivers that feed the lake and they will spawn at different times on the lake...the channels will spawn first on the upper lake and you can't catch a fish up there but if you go to the lower lake where the spawn did not start yet you catch a pile pf channels...this lake also gets hit hard with juggers too...it's really amazing how many cats are in this lake with all the pressure it gets...that would suggest that the spawn works well in lakes such as these...just my 2 cents:wink:

8. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Thanks, yes there are some lakes in Virginia where the catfish spawn, but many of the lakes that are owned by the State are smaller lakes that need to be stocked in order to sustain the catfish population.

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    They shocked up what would have been a world record channel out of Lake Anna a couple years back. He's probably still lurking below....

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a normal report for the past few days. It will pick up soon

11. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    yeah i remember reading about that...if you can catch him he will make you famous...i'm gonna be up that way this coming october so hopefully he will put on a few more pounds by then:wink::smile2:

12. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    This is a picture of the Lake Anna Catfish.

Attached Files:

13. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    do y'all remember the link to the details of that fish...was it on the VA dnr site or what??

14. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia