lake or reservoir help please

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by katfish ken, Nov 4, 2009.

1. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have a 12-1400 acre man made lake near me that has a good population of walleye in it. I have caught walleye out of it in the spring and early summer years ago but have never fished for them in the fall or early winter.The lake is 100+' at its deepest and has lot of cliffs under water level and rocky points in it . The arms off of the main lake have lots of standing snags still standing in them Any info or help in locating them and baits for fall fishing for the eyes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    we have a lake here, lake meredith, that is loaded down with walleyes. i don't even fish for them until the water temp is 50 degrees or lower. i fish rock points and underwater humps that are also rock, anywhere that concentrates the shad. i use a 5" kalin's grub in blue pearl color. the one with the flecks in it. i don't do anything fancy on the retrieve, not even jigging. i use as light of a long shanked jighead as i can get away with, so i can retrieve the grub as slow as possible. sometimes i catch them on the jig and minnow setup i use for crappie and sand bass. let the jig hit bottom, then reel it straight up at moderate speed. if a walleye is going to hit they usually do in the first 3 feet of the retrieve. if not, the other species will nail it almost every time. i have used chartreuse grubs too, but they don't perform as well as the blue pearl. might work in your area. even though they have a mediocre fight to them, they sure do eat good. hope this helps.

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Thanks for the info Jordan!! I tie some bucktail jigs and will try the grubs. I've always been deer hunting at this time of year, but due to back injury hobbies and habits have changed . I hope to get out some soon before hard winter sets in and try for them. They do make good table fair.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Hey good luck on the fishing. It is that time of year here for the saugeyes

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Glenn
    I think I'm going to need luck and lots of it. I think the lake has turned over and the eyes may be as much as 60 to 80' deep through the day maybe coming up shallow to feed at night.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Good Luck Ken! You talking about Paintsville? I'd like to walleye fish it again, didn't catch any earlier this year when we were up there. Should be turning on soon, water temps have gotta be cold by now...

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    yah I am John!!! I'm getting ready to hit it with both barrels.

8. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    look at points near outside bends that have good cover and are close to the channel. Hope that works for you

9. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I believe your probably right Ken.

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Thanks guys for all the help and advise. I hope to try it tomorrow evening for a while. Will keep ya posted on the outcome.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey ken! i forgot to say i only fish at night, as i am fishing from the bank. i catch them from 10 pm to 4 am usually, in 8-20 foot of water. good luck, and let us know how you do bud!

12. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Hey Ken ,
    Hope you dont mind if I join in,,,Ive got a lake down here in GA "Carters " that I have been trying to figure also, really deep, 450 + deep, Not loaded with eyes but some really big ones 6-8lb's maybee we can get them figured out,,, Ive got some deep standing timber 60-80ft will they hang out in there durring the day or do they like the rocks points better?? Do you guys use lites at night??
    Thanks for the post's guys,
    Good luck...:wink:
    Puddle

13. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Thanks guys!!! Puddle I don't mind at all, that is why I started the thread was for people to ask and answer questions. Have at it guy. Anything you can apply to 450'+ I can imprevise to 120+

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Didn't make it out this evening, Had other things come up.:angry: Was wanting to try out some new found knowledge.:wink: