Lake Okatibbee 9/25

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Stevej, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    Went out to our local lake this morning from 7AM til 10 AM, should have left at 9 when they turned off completely. Water temp was 80.5 degrees or there abouts. Caught 12 keepers, have to be 10". 4 blacks, big one 11" and 8 whites, 4 12". 7/8 FOW best depth and a solid blue Slater jig was best jig by far. First time out in about 3 months, just been too hot for an old man. The lake is about 7' below normal and on a 3500 acre lake that hurts, 2 bad years in a row, the corp hasn't even opened the beaches for those 2 years. We need rain in MS. Not great but I'm happy to have them, good eating tomorrow.

[​IMG]

2. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    nice catch. here the lake is flood control so they almost got it down to winter pool. the crappies are tight to wood structure but I am getting them in 1 to 4 foot of water. and unusualy are water temp is still 80* and I think this is the first year I can remimber fishing fall crappie in shorts and tank top.makes me realy sit and think about that globel warming they talk about for last year we were haveing 70* weather in december here now thats odd.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice crappies.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Nice fish. My problem is I never can decide if I want to go after crappie or catfish. Usually just switch back and forth.

5. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    When I pull Bandits for crappie I can usually count on catching almost as many channel cats as crappie during the early months.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have caught several channels also when pulling cranks. All are normally smaller though. When drifting I usually have at least one pole out the front or side for crappie.

7. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Yum! Bet that was a fine tasting meal.
    Bill

8. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    Wayne had to baby sit today so I went alone and caught 13, again the bite was over for me at 9. What a difference 2 days make as far as color goes. Tuesday blue, blue blue, today nothing on blue. This was the hot color and lure, Panfish Assassin 1 1/2" tiny shad in Texas Avocado
    and of course I didn't have any. A couple in another boat was fishing the same 2 bends in the creek I was fishing and getting bite pretty good, I had 1 keeper. We talked about color and the lady threw me one of the above and I started to catch a few, changed my blues out for some tubes in blk/green and blk/orange and finally got 13, thought I had 12 till I got home. Still in 7/8 FOW as far as I know. 10 whites and 3 blacks. I have some solid colors of the above so I have got out my Sharpies and worked on a few. Pays to keep a lot of colors in the water until the crappie tell you what they want, got a hard head and have to relearn that a lot.

9. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    Went back out this morning and got 19. Worked on a few of my solid color Tiny Shads and made me some Texas Acacodo and Electric Chicken's. The EC's worked best by far today. That is the chartruse with the red backs.

[​IMG]

10. Skimmer

Skimmer New Member

State:
    Va.
    Nice catch. Last time I fished that neck of the woods I came close to stepping on a gator, last time I ever wade for fish.

11. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    Okatibbee does have a few, they brought them in from LA. Went back out this morning, 10/9, and got 8 keepers before rain, blessed rain, light and sound show drove us off the lake. The 2 biggest were 1-11 and 1-9 right at 15" long.
    Don't know why they are so light for their length, seem to be lots of shad. No hot color today, also lot of short fish below the 10" limit.

[​IMG]