Lake of the Woodlands The Woodlands TX

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mch4fishing, Sep 8, 2006.

1. mch4fishing

mch4fishing New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Ok so this morning my wife said Why dont you ever drive down to North Shore
    Park in the Woodlands to Fish?
    So for kicks I did. Use Chicken Livers on this lake.
    I tryed every thing under the sun and only got bites with the liver.
    Three nice kittys in two hours. Tons of Blue gill Flote a meal worm about 14 inches and have fun
    Marc:cool2:

2. minnies_moocher

minnies_moocher New Member

State:
    Coldspring, Texas
    Way to go brother. I have been fishing but it has been to hot and the river is still really low. If we would get some good rain maybe the fish would bite better.

3. mch4fishing

mch4fishing New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Yes You could say its been a bit warm.
    Thanks talk to you soon
    Marc

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've never fished lake woodlands, have looked at it. But, on one kayak fishing site I visit, several fish it. Seems later in the fall and in the spring are the best times.

5. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    We fish it on occasion, but never seem to catch anything. Spring Creek and 45 under the bridge (about 5 mins from there) is where we tend to go.

6. mch4fishing

mch4fishing New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Where should I park for Spring Creek? I went down the road after R/R at Rayford and I think I found Spring Creek. I was jumpin up and down when I started scouting it out But then Well it seems that the people that choose to ride the rails free also have made a stop over of Spring Creek at the trussels.
    Would love to find a good simi safe place on that creek :confused2:

7. mch4fishing

mch4fishing New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Well with the rain and all Sat night the bite slowed way down on sunday.
    The cats where just sucking the chicken livers off the hook leaving the skin only. I will be bringing a stocking with me from now on in my box to wrap up the livers...Think that should remedy the issue.
    On the other hand.... the blue gill still loving 1/2 Night crawler with bobber at 10 inch mark.
    Cant wait till fall. according to the reg's will start hopping soon:smile2:
    have fun all and get out there and Just Do it.
    We cant catch em if we dont go...... win or loose if your lines are not in the water you cant catch fish.
    Marc

8. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The only place I know to get on spring creek safe is under the bridge at i-45. From there you can go east or west mostly on shore though a small boat would be awesome to go west as its very bushy and the water is deeper that way.

On each side of the bridge however are decent spots for cats. We prefer the west side as from there the current runs under the bridge. on the east side there is a hole, pretty deep compared to surrounding water. You can wade east easily just bring a good stout stick, water is rarely above waist deep on a 5' 6" guy like me. down there a little ways is a better hole with less fishing pressure. Going west the current isn't as fast and the creek is wider and weedier. More gar down here and the cats tend to be bigger though not as numerous.

me and April rarely leave the bridge area though. Top cat caught here was a 10 lb blue out of the rapids on the east side, biggest fish overall was on that side too and that was a Gator gar I estimate at about 80-90 lbs as he was a little over 5 foot long and had a huge girth on him.

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Spring Creek can be accessed from Riley-Fussel road East of I-45 the other side of Old Town Spring. Its shallow under the bridge, but gets deeper above and below the bridge. I haven't been that way in a while, they were building a new bridge so downstream was stirred up from the construction. The bridge may be finished, they were working on it in the Spring. The other place for bank access is thought Jones Park off 1960. Its a quarter to half mile walk to the creek on an asphalt path. The will allow canoe and kayak launces there, but you are supposed to take out elsewhere Or, if you have a canoe or kayak, you can launch at Mercer Aboreteum on Aldine Westfield North of 1960. You put in on Cypress Creek, take out at Jones Park, but its a good 5 or 6 hour trip and Cypress Creek sometimes is clogged with downfall. The banks can be steep and muddy, difficult to get out. Eventually, Harris County will build a "string of pearls" greenbelt and park system so you can hike and canoe/kayak Spring Creek. Montgomery County will also build a park by the Riley-Fuzzel bridge and you will be able to launch there. Spring Creek will then be an awsome urban float stream. You can find good camping on the bands and sand bars.

10. mch4fishing

mch4fishing New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Wow well thanks guys I will try the creek soon

11. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Just wanted to add Marc that the water is pretty low there ATM, makes it great for scouting but the fishing is poorer. Though we did get a little rain on monday I doubt it helped much.

Remeber though , to go far down either side from there you will have to get wet. That is what keeps me and April under the bridge. Since I caught that gar there she won't go in the water lol.

to her fish with teeth + her in the water = a very bad thing. Suprisingly she still wadefishes the gulf with me and isn't scared of the sharks.

12. mch4fishing

mch4fishing New Member

State:
    East Texas
    LOL to cool well thanks and I will Get the scedule thing worked out soon
    Marc