Lake of the ozarks

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by mriradik, Aug 16, 2007.

1. mriradik

mriradik New Member

State:
    Missouri
    im getting ready to fish the lake for the first time.i need help!aany info on bait,location,or time would be awesome.

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Wow mriradik you have asked a lot without giving much information. I assume your going to be fishing Lake of the Ozark but can you tell us what MM, cove, town, on the water bar or resort you will be near. We fish from Bagnel Dam up to and into the Gravois Arm so I might be able to help a little on the lower part of the LOZ. Bait is simple, shad, fresher the better. Try using different parts of the shad, one pole have the front half, another pole the back half and maybe shad guts on another pole. Let the fish tell you which end they want. Location of where to fish, this is a strange year with the water moving as much as it was but they are slowing down now so it might get real tough to find fish for a while. I would try to concentrate on any drop off you can find, if it goes from 10' to 50' in a distance of 100' fish it, and I would drift over it several times. Don't stay in one spot long, keep moving and try different depths and speeds. To me, slow is best and if I could go slower I would, we use a drift sock almost all the time to help slow us down. If you can see the thermocline on your depth finder fish about 5 feet above it as that seems to work for us. If you can't I wouldn't fish much deeper than 25 to 30 feet and 20 feet seems to be a good depth for us. Also try just inside any cove mouth off the main channel and look for structure that could hold fish.
    Time to be on the water, I will refrain from one of my usual smart remarks and tell you we prefer early mornings starting around 4:00 am and off the lake between 10:00 am and noon. Get out there before the lake wakes up and they start tearing up the water with their boats going no where. If we fish nights we get out just after dark and quit when we can't stay awake any longer or the fish aren't cooperating. Nights can be dangerous on LOZ as drinking and driving seem to be a summer sport and running lights are optional. If you do fish nights be ready to move and move fast, we carry a 3 million spot light and am not afraid to use it. We've had boats heading right at us without running lights on until we blind them and then they will swerve and realize they don't have their lights on. Even if everyone has their lights on sometimes they are hard to pick up with all the dock lights, deck lights and such all over the lake. Never shut your lights off while your on the lake for any reason, it's just asking for trouble. Good luck, keep us posted on how you do.

3. mriradik

mriradik New Member

State:
    Missouri
    thank you very much!the only lake i have ever fished is Truman and i havent had much luck.we are going down next weekend and will be staying at the 11 MM.are shad easy to get?

4. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Yes and no on the easy catching of shad. If you can find shad on your finder(will look like a cloud on the screen) and if you can throw on of those nets from hell, then I guess shad are easy to come by. If your like me and you question your fish finder more than trust it and you have great difficulty opening a newspaper much less throwing one of those nets from a boat into the water without following it.... well it could be deemed difficult to get them. I put a light down low on my dock and the shad and crappie love me for it. I now just drop the net off the dock and come up with a dozen or so shad and usually a couple crappie, to boot. Throw the crappie back, it's no fun to get them that way but now I have bait. I'll attach a picture that is hard to understand but it shows the shad swimming in a tight circle under the light. We also throw out catfish food for the bluegills so my grandson has some fish to catch and the fact that the shad and catfish love it also it just a coincidence. lol :wink:
    When your looking for shad on your fish finder, look for fish under the shad, most likely blues and they are just waiting for dinner.

5. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Sorry, won't let me upload a picture so just use your imagination, I guess.