Lake of the ozarks

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by ravenloft420, Jul 9, 2007.

1. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    hey everybody Im gonna be heading to the lake of the ozarks next weekend. Im lookin for some big cats. we will be staying near bagnell dam and Im wondring where the fish are? what do they bite on down there? what kind of baitfish do they have in there? I havnt been down there since I was a kid so I dont really remember anything about it except the only thing I ever caught down there was a common carp.

thanks

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Good luck. You couldn't pay me to put a boat in the lower part of the lake - far too dangerous, especially if you don't have a boat big enough to mix it up with the 30 and 40 ft cruisers and cigarette boats... (I guess you've read by now that Lake of the Ozarks is the 3rd most deadly body of water in the United States, right after the Atlantic Coast and the Colorado River...)

If you want to catch big catfish, come up to the upper LOZ near Warsaw.

3. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    hmmmm. is it really that bad?

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Yes, especially on the week ends. Last year a 32 foot boat got swamped there. I would go below bagnell dam or below truman dam if you want to catch fish. Shad, bluegill and cut drum and cut carp are all good baits to use right now. Good luck out there!

5. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    so what makes it so dangerous out there? man Im goin down there with my buddy who just got a new 22 ft bassboat, and hasnt driven a boat in years. I remember him saying that he wouldnt take anything smaller out there but I never asked him why.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Apparently you've never seen the waves generated by a 35 ft boat... :eek:oooh:

7. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    apparently not.........................

8. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    5 years ago I was down there in a 16' semi-v I went out before daylight and just went about a 100 yards down the lake in the main channel was about two miles above the dam. I was fishing in a cove I started to return about 09:00 and I like to never got that 100 yards back up the lake. I wouldn't put my boat in there again for nothing. Way to Meany big boats out there fore me.

9. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I have a 32 foot Wellcraft cruiser that I wont begin to take down there.
    with just the swells that my boat puts out a 22' bass boat would have some trouble. I keep my boat up on the gravois arm to stay away from the bad situation on the lower part of the loz.
    Fish below truman or loz dam.

10. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I wouldnt go down there for nothin, stay either below the dam or go to the upper arm, you will actually get to fish and you wont see your life FLASH before your eyes.

Good luck and be careful

11. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    I think if you put in below Bagnell you should do pretty good if you find breaks and eddies to fish in use shad cut or fresh Here is what I like to do wth shad 2 to 3 inchs long seems to work pretty good. Cut carp also looks to be a pretty good producer just ask Troy aka Spoonfish his pesonal best :big_smile:

12. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I've been fishing below Bagnell every Saturday for the last three weekends. The first time wasn't very good. The second time I went was awesome and we caught 30-40 channels and blues up to 4 pounds. The third time this past Saturday was slow again. They had all but one flood gate pushing water out so it was awful rough up near the no fishing.

As for big fish, the only big fish I ever seen pullled out of there have been right up at the dam when people break the law to fish there. This last trip we made, my buddy caught a 6 or 7 pound blue though. I know this isn't big for what you are looking for I am sure.

13. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    My son just got back from Bagnell. He was fishing below the dam he was there all last week. he caught cats everyday. Nothing big I believe 6lbs was the biggest. Caught his limit everyday. Using cut shad. Man I wish I could have been there...

14. unclebill85

unclebill85 New Member

State:
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    One things for certain...You will get wet especially with as low as a bass boat sits in the water :wink:

Be safe, those boats down there are BRUTAL! My buddy sold his lake house down there because he could no longer get out in his 25' Wellcraft due to the wakes these boats create, easy 4-5ft wake depending on size of boat, this is average for your run-of-the-mill ridiculously large cruiser which are quite common down there.

Not to mention the cigarette boats that cruise 90 mph down the lake!

I 2nd the motion of heading toward the Warsaw area. Much calmer waters and better fishn' in opinion.

Best of luck to you regardless of where you drop anchor.

15. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I've had my 16' Lund with a 25HP out several times and have had no problems and as far as the wakes, I guess they make shorter boats at the 5MM because I've never had a wake that I was really worried about. We have a 23' Hurricane deck boat and I wouldn't be the least bit worried about taking it out any where in that area. We try to get on the water early and off by around noon when we fish but the kids go out doing their water dragging stuff all day and have no problems. My personal opinion is it's like the old hunter telling you about shooting a 30-06 and how it will kick the heck out of your shoulder and then you shoot one and look around a say to yourself, that's it. Yes there are fools out there with big boats but if YOU don't do stupid things, you'll be OK. And, look on boat lifts all over that end of the lake and most are normal sized boats which tells me they aren't having any problems either. They did have a deck boat go down on that end of the lake last year but two guys rented it and then put 23 people on it and sank it from sheer weight. Alcohol is a big factor, we've had a boat heading right at us at night with no running lights, we had a 14' jon boat with no lights wanting to play chicken with our 23' deck boat and they had 8 people in it and all drunk screaming and calling us chicken. Thought went through our minds to put the back of that 350 Chevy up close to them and romp on it and swamp them but that would be just about like murder as none had life vests on and they were plastered. So YOU be cool and safe, you'll have no problems.
    Now where to fish, Hawaiian Island has a good drop off on the North end I think and we like the end of Lick Branch Cove (where we have a home) and the back of Raccoon Cove are all pretty good. We also go out of the Lick Branch (5mm) and go left staying on "our side" of the lake and go down along the high bluffs. Way up on the top of the bluff is a house that has a large copper art thingie hanging and just below them there are several ripples on the bottom that hold fish. I would suggest that you drift with Billy Boy bobbers no more than 25' deep and just drift along the high bank and see what happens. I would put one out at 25', 20', 15', 10' etc and see if you can pick up a couple.
    I don't mean to upset anyone here, it is there opinion that it is unsafe and I guess it's mine that it isn't that bad. Let us know what you do.

16. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Rusty, where did your son put in at? I'm looking for a ramp below the dam but haven't had any luck finding one. Thanks.

17. Mid-MO fisherman

Mid-MO fisherman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    There is conservation ramp below the dam. Not sure how familiar you are with the area but here goes. Take Bus. 54, the road that takes you across the Dam. The easiest way is to go to the north end of Bus. 54. Once your on Bus. 54, look for Union Electric Dr. It will be on the east side of Bus. 54. Once you turn on Union Electric Dr. just follow the signs. right now they are flowing a lot of water. Last I heard they had 11 of 12 flood gates open. Might be hard fishing, i'm not sure. Some of these other guys might be able to tell you better. The number to call to find out the lake level, the river level and how much water they plan on letting through is (573) 395-9205. This can be usful info when you are planning to go down there. Hope this helps.

18. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    beeheck. I am not sure where he was. He said he was about a mile or so below the dam at a campground where he was staying and they had a ramp. Someone that knows the area can help more with that then I can. Good Luck...Rusty

19. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Thanks for the input on the ramps, I appreciate it! I'm not very familiar with the area at all, so the directions help a lot. Will go looking for it next time I'm down, again thanks. I might look for that campground also they might let a guy load and unload for a small fee.