Lake of the Ozarks Report

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Itch2Scratch, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I am not sure why, but I have been sitting on my deck watching the LOZ rise slowly for the last week or so. Normally they lower it way down this time of the year, not raise it. I am thinking its time to blow the dust off my cattin gear.;)

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    My neighbor has advised me that Ameron has just obtained permission today and will soon lower the lake approximately 9 feet from current level. Hope the weather permits a chance to hit the water before they do...darn it.:crying:

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    They do that every winter/spring to work on the dam I guess. Last year they ran it low into spoonbill season. Usally they have it filling back up by then. Makes it tough on everyone not in the main channel to get a boat off there docks when they are sitting in mud. The good thing is it congragetes the fish in the holes and can be easier to locate.

4. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Yeah they did keep it low last year, but you make a valid point about pushin them to holes. Luckily I fish from docks on the main channel around the 58MM.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Wow. I knew they always draw it down in the winter, but thought it was more like 5 ft or so. 9 ft ought to leave the upper end of the lake around Warsaw low enough that you can almost walk across it!

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Nine feet is going to be a bunch!
    I know the cove down from the house will be all mud for sure. Makes a guy want a jet boat to run that river. If it gets that low they should be stacked in the holes.

7. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    That much lowering is gonna create a nice current.(blowing the dust off the cattin gear):p ;)

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Ken, Do you know when they are planing to start lowering the lake?

9. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Spoon I don't think they said exactly, just warned dock owners. As of today the lake was still rising. I suppose to lower Truman as a catch basin after they lower this one while they work or whatever. Have approval to lower to 645 and thats about all I know. If I hear more definative info I will be sure to post it here for you guys. I have noticed a pretty good backflow so maybe that will prime those cats for us.

10. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wow 645' would sure make it look different here where I'm at here at the 64mm.I didn't realize they went below 653'. The cove I'm in is only about 4' now with the water down where it's at. I'll really have to lock in the hubs to launch at the ramp here by me http://www.catfish1.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif
    :rolleyes: I guess I'll ihave to go down to Ivy Bend to put in.Maybe they're gonna do some work around the shoreline?I don't think they've had it that low since they put in Truman.

11. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Just because they have permission to go that low doesn't mean they will. But if they do come on over, the swim beach is usually accessable. Will advise you on that also if they do.:)

12. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    I have been digging for a press release of some kind to verify the neighbors report but no luck so far..he said it was on the radio so there may not be any print. 645 does sound steep but they insist thats what they heard. Lake is currently at 657...up from 656 a week ago. I don't see any drop in Truman(706). Current 3 day forecast for LOZ 657, no change. I guess we wait and see.:0a10:

13. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    S'pose you could always call Ameren and ask... (573) 365-9205 - not sure if that's an automated number or if you can get a live person, but it's the number the COE gives out in the lake level forecast page.

14. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Thanks for the number Mr T:) Called and it was automated. They did say dock owners should prepare for a lake level of 650. Draw down is underway, however, it will be done as they need to generate power. Lake levels are expected to remain at 657 next 3 days. Thats the best I could find out.:crying:

15. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    yea the swim beach is usually where i have to put in when they have it drawed down.I'm up here on Webb loop and at the ramp here it's more of a mudhole this time of year.I've tried finding one of our ramps closer to me but I haven't found a good one yet.In the summer I put in at the end of the cove above the beach sometimes and go down around Mallard Bay.I just run a 6 gallon tank so it's better than running all the way round the bend from where I'm at.

16. CATCANDO

CATCANDO New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here you guys go.

My place is at the 13mm I will have to let my cables out a bit.

Lake Drawdown begins
    Lake should level off at 654; dock owners should prepare for 650

By Joyce L. Miller/Lake Sun Senior Writer
    Sunday, January 22, 2006 11:55 PM CST

Although AmerenUE’s license with the Federal Energy Regulatory allows the utility company to drop the lake level to 645 feet above sea level, lake area residents should see the lake level off at about 654. Lake levels of 650 are possible during the winter months but not common, according to plant operators.

LAKE OF THE OZARKS - The annual winter drawdown of Lake of the Ozarks is underway.

Dock owners need to begin preparing for what are traditionally the lowest lake levels of the year.

AmerenUE normally lowers the lake level by several feet during the winter months to make room for spring rains.

The drawdown typically gets underway in early January. Depending on the amount of precipitation that comes this spring, lake levels should start climbing back up by mid-April.

Although AmerenUE’s license with the Federal Energy Regulatory allows the utility company to drop the lake level to 645 feet above sea level, lake area residents should see the lake level off at about 654. Lake levels of 650 are possible during the winter months but not common, according to plant operators.

Although dam operators do not anticipate the lake level dropping to 650, AmerenUE wants to make certain dock owners are aware of that possibility depending on changing conditions.

Despite a lack of precipitation in the lake area, the current level is holding at about 657. Full pool at Lake of the Ozarks is 660 feet above sea level.

Managing the lake level depends on a number of factors, including water flow into Lake of the Ozarks from Truman Dam, weather conditions, electrical usage and conditions downstream. Typically, the lake drops to is lowest level in March.

Lake of the Ozarks receives about 80 percent of its water from Truman and feeder streams like the Niangua River

17. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Thanks for the very informative read CATCANDO....and welcome to BOC. I hope you put your pin in the member map with the rest of us.:)

18. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Very good post CATCANDO!
    Thank you for the info.:thumbsup:

19. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    What was the lake level last year they dropped it too? Just so I can have an idea to compare it too. thanks...

20. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    I think between 653' and 654' in mid March was the low point.