Lake of the Ozarks - Blue catfish are biting and flatheads have started!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by diodeman, Jun 2, 2007.

1. diodeman

diodeman New Member

State:
    Benton Co. Mo.
    Since the beginning of the heavy outflow of water from Truman Dam, LOZ Blue catfishing is the best its been since 1983. Sunfish-perch-bluegill and fresh shad are bringing in record numbers of large blues in the 40 to 60lb. range, I am putting back the big ones and keeping my legal limit of medium 20 to 40lb. blues. As of 6/1/07 I have brought in several flatheads over 40lbs., these fish are caught on live bait only, at night in 10 to 15 feet of water on slopes away from the shores. Drift or sit still you're preference.

High gas prices have kept away the usual weekend crowds, at 12am to sunrise I am about the only one on the river from the 75 mile marker to Truman Dam. Where are you guys? This is the best catfishing we have had in years and the blues and flats bellies are gorged with shad and sunfish.

Flatheads are being caught on whole live bait and blues on cut bait.

Heavy current forces the fish to lay on the bottoms during the day to escape the boats but at night they are in the sloped shallows where the baitfish are. Today we had a community fish fry and served over 200lbs of fresh flathead and bluecatfish fillets, hushpuppies, corn on the cob and home-made icecream. We'll sleep this afternoon and be back on the river tonight in that heavy current. There is nothing like fighting a 40lb.+ fish and heavy current. Check the Army Corps of Engineeres web site and you can see how high Truman lake is and the outflow rates from Truman Dam.

If your sick and tired of hearing this come get em', at night!

Diodeman

2. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Hello diodeman Would like to thank you and a lot of others on here for all the good info you share so well.
    Around 2 this morning Icaught my personal best blue cat and I did what you said diode man in another post fillet a big bluegill thread it on a hook 1st time I have ever caught anything on bluegill . It was a 31 inch blue threw back a lot of 2 to 3 lb blues before this one tonight. Hope the pic makes it on if not I will try later after some shut eye. By the way I do not have a scale just a tape measure about how much should a 31 inch blue be.

Attached Files:

3. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Oh almost forgot caught it in the no boat zone at Truman dam

4. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Man this is driving me crazy. I hate living 2.5 hours away from the Truman Tailrace and that gas is outrageous. Do you think the upcoming spawn will shut the cats down for a while?

The next available time I would have to get up there would be the first weekend after June 20th.:angry:

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yep it sure is. That is why June is the worst month for fishing. The fish are already starting to spawn. If you look jeffjbeard's pic that fish is pretty beat up.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Congrads, really a nice Blue Cat.

7. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
  8. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Diodeman- how long do you think your fisheries will sustain taking all the big cats out of there? Thats what happened to the cats on the Rappahannock River here in VA. Trotliners were taking all the big fish they could catch. The Rapp used to be the 2nd best river in VA (behind the James). Now it has been raped so bad that a 2 fish tournament is won with 25 pounds. The James, where they practice catch and release regularly, takes 100+ pounds to win a 2 fish tournament!!! VA has now changed the law to allow only 1 fish over 32 inches per day. We still have great fisheries in VA and CPR (catch, photograph and release) is the biggest reason why. Catfish the size of the ones you're talking about removing don't get that size overnight.

9. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I had the same thought as critter. Diode, how long do You think it takes for those "med" size blues to get to the 20-40 lbs size range???? I've fished below Truman on several occasions, There are more small 3-5 lb fish then you can shake a stick at that would be more suited for table fare. no fishery can sustain itself for very long if folks are removing the larger fish. Maybe You should be a little more selective with Your selective harvest, if you like to catch big fish! I know the guides down there NEVER keep any fish over 5 lbs. Maybe you should consider following suit, unless the dreaded Brain fog has set in!

10. insanedrifter

insanedrifter New Member

State:
    missouri
  11. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    personally, anything over 10 pounds would go back probably. It's your fish though, so you can do whatever you want with them.

12. diodeman

diodeman New Member

State:
    Benton Co. Mo.
    I have lived on the shore of the Osage River at the 82 mile marker since 1978 and am aware of the potential for over harvesting, that is why...

1. I use barbless Kahle hooks to inflict minimal injury to the fish...

2. I harvest only what I eat, no more...

3. I use only poles, no set lines, although I have tried their effectiveness and released those caught on set lines...

4. I do not fish during the spawn so as to NOT kill the breeding pairs...

5. Community fish fries are supplied with meat gathered by multiple fisherman who fish as I do, legally and with conservation in mind...

6. I am aware of the sizes of fish available, small to large, my personal largest blue - 78lbs, is still free in Truman Lake...

7. I am not a trophy hunter (no pictures or mounts) and never keep older adult fish

8. This entire area, especially below Truman dam in Lake of the Ozarks is heavily monitored by my friends and associates, the two local conservation agents, two water patrolman, the United States Coast Gaurd, Mo. Dept. of Conservation and the Mo. Dept. of Natural Resources.

If my statement about the legal size of fish we keep or the legal pounds of meat served offends you keep this in mind, I am also an avid hunter and I hunt like I fish. I only kill what I eat as many others do, within the constraints of the laws set up by the governing bodies which constantly moniter this area. That is why the current limit on blue catfish has been changed this year to 'conserve'. I am not a gluten nor a poacher. I commend those who decide to catch and release. I offer my advice only to assist others. Not to offend or brag. Thank you for your comments.

Diodeman

13. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Diode,great post.

Its getting to where if anyone keeps anything over 5#,they will immediatly get chastised.

I've always found it ironic that deer hunters say let the little ones walk(spikes) and only shoot the mature ones,fishermen say keep the small ones and let the bigger ones go:big_smile::roll_eyes:

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    ... and the deer hunters just can't understand why there aren't nearly as many huge racks as they're used to be. It ain't rocket science: Kill the deer with the big racks, eliminate the "big rack" genes from the breeding pool. Result: average racks are smaller.

Works just the same with catfish, bass, elk, whatever.

Big fish make babies that turn into big fish. If you want to catch more big fish in the future, you better put the big fish you catch today back so they can keep producing.

I'm not going to tell someone what to do with a legally-taken fish. But I'm all in favor of helping to ensure that folks are making an informed decision when they decide to keep the bigger fish.

15. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    You better stick with fishing scenarios. Because your deer hunting analogy needs a little flip flopping. It's just like fishing man. Shoot every little buck that walks by and he can't grow up. Sounds a lot more like fishing to me. Genes are not dictated by age of deer. Although I'm almost positive that is not what you meant just came out that way.

16. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    If bucks are passed and allowed to grow to 4.5+ years old, then you're going to have big bucks....plain and simple. Even if you are in a genetically pathetic region for bucks, if they get old then you will have nice bucks. Good forage plays a big part too, but without age there won't be any big bucks around.

Personally, if you eat everything you catch, well then that's alright to keep them to me. It's your right if you want to keep and good size cat for the dinner table. MDC is the one's who make the rules so they would have to change the size limits so that the big cats get released and get to live on. If you're doing everything legally, then there's no reason you should feel bad, unless the meat is not getting used. Like I said earlier, personally I would try to only keep fish under 10 pounds, but that is me.

I don't chastise anybody for keeping fish, unless I know they are just going to be wasted, then it bothers me because that fish was kept and cleaned for nothing when it could be swimming and growing for another angler down the road to hook and enjoy a good fight from.

17. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    After thinking about it for a day(its now 4:00 am.)I've come to the conclusion that I was wrong.Its like comparing apples and oranges on at least 2 points I thought of.
    1)generally,most people can only shoot 1 buck a year(but unlimited does,which can carry "big"genes??)

2)deer at best have triplets,twins sometimes ,most commonly 1 fawn....mature cats can lay thousands of eggs.

I have yet to come up with a new analogy,guess I need to get more than 4 hours of sleep a night:lol::lol: