Lake of the Ozarks and Gravois arm

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by powercat, Aug 7, 2007.

1. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    The past three weeks I have been hitting zero on finding blue cats. The shad are there is smaller numbers than normal and they aren't schooling in the end of coves like they normally do in late July and August. The lake is full reservoir and they are letting a lot of water out of Truman and the LOZ at this time due to flooding waters earlier in the season. I am speculating that the current in the main lake has attracted the fish and they have moved upstream towards Truman. It appears that people fishing below Truman are doing better than average this summer. I would appreciate any suggestions in finding fish in the lower LOZ are the Gravois Arm.:crazy:

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Powercat, I feel your pain. I'm having the same trouble. People at the bait shops keep telling me this is the mother of all years for fishing because of the water movement due to the flooding. I haven't had the same opinion that's for sure. I guess all we can do is put time in on the water and try to figure out where they are. Should be easy if I would use the same approach I used to use when I went to the dog tack with my father in law. I would pick the 3 dogs I thought would win, scratch them and pick 3 others and did fairly good. So, with that thought in mind, if I would go to an area to fish by drifting then I should go elsewhere and still fish. Huh? Not bad, right? And, I wonder why I get these headaches.

3. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Bill, I have tried fishing deep, on the flats in shallow water, on the flats in deeper water, over and around humps, and using fresh cut shad all the time with no results. I am not finding what I consider catfish on the sonar either. I feel that we will need to wait for the gates to be closed and fall before the fish return.

4. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think its slow all over between the heat during day and waters still warm at midnight I personally dont think they are feeding like they normally due. Just my opinion!!!:embarassed:

5. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    But, by using that reasoning you should still be able to find them and catch them if they are feeding as usual. Now, not being a thinking man because I'm married and have someone that does all my thinking for me, I would venture to guess that we've been in high, moving water all summer and now they are starting to slow things down, plus all the food in the water from the flooding it's just a percentage thing. The odds they are going to take your dead shad over the over 100,000 dead shad going by is slim. Just a thought.

6. timpndr20

timpndr20 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I believe you'r right to asume the fish have moved toward the current in the main channel.Have you tried fishing the main channel flats or just inside the mouth's of the coves on the main channel?

7. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I haven't tried that but it's more of a, I'm not down there that much thing, than a just haven't done it. We have a couple places that have produced for us and we tend to go back there and it's not been a good year for fishing for us as we are remodeling the house and I just am to beat at night to even want to fish. Got 9 windows to take out, 4 windows to put in, vinyl siding and then the interior work like sheet rocking, floors, trim, doors, insulating... why did I start this project? Goes back to that I'm not a thinking man. Next time I get out on the lake, around 2012 or so I'll give it a try, thanks!

8. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    We have tried fishing at the mouth of the Gravois which is usually a great place to fish with the same poor results. Bill may have the right idea about them having all the food they need, I still feel they have moved to the current in the main channel since we aren't finding what appear to be catfish on the fish finder.