Lake Odessa - caught 6 catfish

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by rippinlips, Apr 11, 2009.

1. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    Had a fun day on lake Odessa yesterday. The wife and I caught six nothing big but they ate real good. The bite is on so get out there and get ya some.

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hitting the Sipp this morning...hopping to bag a few meself...oh yeah:big_smile_2:

3. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    Good morning. Good luck today. Good to hear from you kenny.

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    According to the DNRs weekly report Apr 9 they are currently dredging the lateral ditch.
    I think know where that is but why would they be dredging there and whats the effect going to be?

have a good one
    just

5. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    I saw the dredge I do not know why they are doing it. They have done several things lately that I do not understand.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
  7. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    The ditch has silted in a lot over the years and since it is a main access to a large portion of Odessa it needed to be cleaned out. The ditch is down lake a bit and across from the Schaffers boat ramp. For those that don't know the area beyond the ditch is emense and great fishing for all kinds of species, not to mention duck hunting. This is the best time of year for cats at Odessa.

8. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    Do you know how deep it is in yankee chute at odessa? I have heard that is the deepest part of the lake.

9. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So last time I was in that ditch I waded and pulled my 14" Wolverine V bottom out.
    Thats been 30 years ago.
    So do you suppose a typical jon will be able to run back there now?
    have a good one
    just

10. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    I went through the part they had done two weeks ago with no problem.

11. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Mike, I can't say how deep the chute is now. It used to be 5-6 feet. But the way the lake is run now that would be deep! I would say the average for the whole lake now is 4-5 ft. In July and August 2-3 ft. The big boys mess with it's depth for the ducks and the food they plant. Cabin owners are pretty upset with the corp of engineer and USWS. Have been for years as not many folk can navigate or ski like they use to. Just too shallow that time for year. But right now the pipes are open to fill it up and that is the time to get cats, crappie, gills etc.

12. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    I live in muscatine Blue. I hope to see you at the lake sometime. I have a gray 16 foot jon with red lowe letters on the side. If you see me just holler.