Lake Oconee report 1-06-08

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by Redman 54, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Redman 54

Redman 54 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Fished Lake Oconee Sun 1-6-08 but had no takers. Graphed plenty of big fish on main river channel ledges and channel side of humps in 25-35 ft of water. Water temp was 48-52 degrees. Lake Oconee has really come up since the good rain we had around Xmas. It is at or slightly above full pool. There was a great number of logs and debris floating in the lake. I guess the high water in the Appalachee and the Oconee rivers cleaned the previously dry sandbars and the collapsed log piles out.. and pushed them out into the lake. Kinda unusual to blank on Oconee this time of year, I guess their bellies were still full. I fished north of Hwy 44 bridge and didnt even make it to the lower end of the lake which is where I should have been. The shad were hard to come by also. I guess the 16 degree nights and the high winds pushed them deep out into the channels. It took awhile to catch bait when it usually on takes a few minutes. Some guys crappie fishing with minnows were catching one or two baby flatheads. Glad to hear that the flathead population is thriving. Catch a bigun and be safe

2. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    That cold rain didn't help none either. I checked the temp in my rain barrel,it was 38% at one point.Thanks for the info.

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    thanks for the report redman......besides me i think you're one of the only ones on the board who fishes oconee. i live across the street from sugar creek and am always willing to soak some bait.

4. Redman 54

Redman 54 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Nice to hear from you Aaron. I fish Oconee all the time. Was in Sugar Creek in the timber Sunday . Not even a bite. Glad to know someone on here fishes Oconee. It doesnt seem to be the most popular lake around. I sure hope the flathead population explodes here. Also fish the Oconee river a bunch in April and May when the cats and hybrids follow the shad up the river. I float in a 20' Seaking CC. I'll be looking for you. Lets swap some strategy sometime. Rodney

5. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    i think the flatheads are doing well. from what everyone at the bait shops and marina's around here say they have just started really showing up in the last 5-10 years. I caught one this year out of oconee near 30# and a couple other decent ones. I even caught a couple small ones while catching bream for bait. So apparently they are succesfully spawning. With all the plots of timber and the two rivers dumping into the lake make good habitat for a flathead fishery as long as the DNR doesn't want to get rid of them. Even though the flatheads are on the rise I think the blues are doing just as good or even better. I fish mostly off the bank and have found a few decent spots which is hard on this lake. Sometimes i just go up to Dyar pasture and do decent up there. But i really like fishing the Apalachee river arm....there is almost no fishing pressure on it since the nearest public boat ramp is all the way down at swords....which is a little ways to the river and full of stumps. It requires a long walk through the woods( which i found out last fall is deer hunting property) but i found a nice bend in the apalachee river with a 30' hole. I caught some nice fish in november out of there, and got some crazy looks from some deer hunters too....lol ........anyways it's good to have an oconee fisherman on the boc finally......oh yeah, have you ever fished the spillway below lake sinclair? I know there have to be some flatheads down there in the spring, and probably all summer long..it's the only dam all the way to the altamaha and to the atlantic.

6. Redman 54

Redman 54 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Aaron I have never fished below Sinclair dam but all my good friends up here tell me about their younger and wilder days when they ran trotlines down there. They swear by baby eels for bait on a trotline and they said there was a million of them to be had back then. Not sure if thats still legal or not. They say that when the siren on the discharge goes off you had better hold on to your hat cause if your in a boat youre going straight up and dont get caught with a short anchor rope and really solid anchor or if on the bank you had better get off the rocks quick. They say from the spillway down to the old iron RR tressel was dynamite for flats. From what Ive heard there is a very good population of flats from there to Dublin and below that it just gets better. Ill have to try the App river side cause I launch at Swords alot. There are also a couple of good holes on the Oconee river side above the Indian mound where the river channel swings in tight to the east bank. This is probably one of the deepest holes on the upper end and is lined with solid shelf rock. I dont know if you can access it from the bank its close enough but without landowner permission it would be one hell of a walk from Hwy 278 I saw a 65# flat that a guy caught last spring on a trotline. He came by me while I was catching bait on a dock in the cove where the pipe goes under Swords road in a 10ft jon boat. We talked a little and when he came back he had four fish the 65 flat, 2 - 40#+ blues and one 30# blue. He weighs about 275 and he had one helluva load on that 10ft jon boat. All four of these fish came on a line just to the south of this hole. Good fishin and keep in touch.

7. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    We have had a gathering at Lawence Shoals campground and I have camped there a time before and ain't had no luck would enjoy triing it again and probley will before long

8. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    thanks for the heads up on the indian mounds. I've noticed that spot on my lake map but havent scouted it out in person yet. I've been planning on making a drop net using some pvc w/ elbo joints and some rope so that i can land a big fish at the spillway. I can't wait for the water temps to get back up into the 60's so the flathead will be up and moving around some more. Me and creutus are planning a canoe/camping/fishing trip down south where the oconee meets the ocmulgee this spring. We're gonna try to time it so that we can hit the flathead pre-spawn. Once the lake temp is in the low 60's would you think it would be safe to say the river is about the same? or would it warm up quicker? We're gonna take about 3-4 days and float down river looking for sandbars to camp off of.....catching bait during the day and fishing for flats at night. You're welcome to come if that sounds like something you would be interested in....or anyone else on the board for that matter.....im thinking it would be around late march/ early april depending on water temp.