Lake Norman

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by quailman, Jan 15, 2007.

1. quailman

quailman New Member

State:
    north carolina
    anyone been to norman lately?

2. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    PM LakeNormanBlues aka the Norman Macdaddy. He knows the scoop on LKN catfish.

3. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I went a couple of weeks ago ,only caught one all day ,got there late could'nt catch any bait ,there was way to much traffic on the lake for me. I was thinking of fishing up the lake this weekend in the tourney to try to stay away from the oil spill. What do you think? is the oil gone.

4. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I think the oil spill was actually on Mountain Island. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I read the article on it and it was mineral oil spilled during some sort of activity with the dam between Norman and Mountain Island. I would talk to Mac Byrumif I was heading to Norman. I hear thar above 150 is a good place to fish in Stumpy, Skippers and Hicks Creeks. I know a place to catch shad up there pretty regularly. Shoot me a PM. I used to striper fish Norman a lot a couple years ago and we always did well above 150 bridge. We caught planty of blues as bycatch while striper fishing. There aren't the size fish in Norman as the Yadkin lakes, but I think the numbers are good. see ya

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Michael, currently you can fish anywhere on LKN and catch cats, but they are scattered from one end of the lake to the other. The typical catch on LKN is from 3 to 10 and the sizes ranges from 3 to 20 pounds right now. So far the big bite has not arrived but, maybe someone in the NCCATS tournament (hopefully WylieCat and myself) will find something over 20 pounds. The Fall/Winter season so far has seen one 51 pound blue and a 40 pound cat caught by striper fishermen but, nothing major by us caters. Fresh cut gizzard shad, white perch and striper chunks are producing as baits. I fish mostlly south of the Hwy. 150 bridge and slip up to Stumpy Creek in the Spring to catch some 20 to almost 50 pound flats and blues. Since we don't have any major current on LKN it is best to fish creeks and opening of creeks to the river. As I tell Rodger and others, if you can find them, you can catch them. Mac

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    LakeNormanBlues famous quote:

"...They are easy to catch, but hard to find..." :big_smile:

This cold snap arriving tonight will probably slam the mouths shut for a couple of days. Hopefully they will be biting again GOOD by Saturday and the tournament. Next week there is some seriously cold weather down into the teens and 20's predicted. That may be the spark for the big cat bite on Norman. :wink:

I think the "oil spill" was below the dam in the Catawba.

I think there are some big fish in Norman, but the lake is so huge they can be hard to isolate. Lakes like Tillery and Badin are the size of Davidson Creek alone, so finding the big boys is a little easier. I do agree, I think there are more big blues in those lakes.

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    guys how hard is bait to get at norman? can you get it in the hot hole or back in creeks? i never fished norman for cats yet. i just live to close to badin and tillery i guess. how is the herring population? seasonal?

8. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Michael, the best place to get shad and blue back is at the skimmer wall adjacent to the Hwy. 150 bridge. Bait catchers are having the best cast at first light and late in the evenings. DO NOT CLIMB ON THE SKIMMER WALL because that is a no no and the man might get you. The water is high enough that you can throw over the rail. Cast at the swirls in the water and let your net go down as far as you have rope. Around lights in creeks before the sun rises in another option, but you might get some white perch and crappies along with you shad and we wouldn't want to do that, would we!?.

9. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mac hit the nail right on the head for catching bait on Norman. Best time is before daylight or after dark. Bait can be hard to find on Norman. Its best to take bait with you then when you get there your ready to fish. one thing i hate doing is spending 3 hours catching bait when i could be fishing. We catch our bait the night before then when we hit the water next morning were ready. If you need any info let me know.

10. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    maybe i just need to stay on my side of town. naw i like the challenge of new waters sometimes. good way to learn new stuff. i may try norman this year a couple times drift fishing. glad to see a decent post get to going on here about norman. i know a couple of you fellows have them figured out over there so keep us informed. good luck to those of you fishing the tournament too.

11. MERUSS

MERUSS New Member

State:
    nc
    take a light to the skimmer wall at 150 bridge put it on the far side in the water give in about 10 to 20 minutes then start netting every few minutes we usually go abuot an hour before daylight

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    this skimmer wall it that the concret wall i see from 150 bridge?

sorry about that i see it in your post now. thanks and welcome to the boc

13. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I used to striper fish Norman a good bit and I would always get bait in the back of Rocky Creek, at the state park right at the spillway and sometimes find it in Stumpy Creek. You can catch it under lights too before daylight. My dad lives on the lake and I'm trying to get him to put a light on his dock so we can get bait and go fishing. Hey Mac, could you help me with some places to start fishing near my dad's house. He lives right on the tip of Westport Peninsula right at the white bridge going to Govaernor's Island. 150 is quite a haul from there, so I'd like to find some fish down that side of the lake and I guess you mainly drift Norman too, or would anchoring work better? Thanks a lot!

14. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Chris, some of the largest fish I have every caught on LKN came from behind Gov's. Island in Burton Creek and in front of Gov's. Island out to the shoals at Marker 5. Also, early in the AM you can catch bait at the end of Burton Creek before it makes it's turn into the last cove. Try that area and if you do not have any luck I will offer you some more locations close to you fathers place. This same area is a good source for white perch, which makes excellent catfish bait.

15. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I haven't figured out the white perch on Norman yet, but they do make good bait. I have'nt thought about fishing in Burton Creek, but we'll definately try it sometime. If I get a light and put on the end of his pier, do you think it owuld still attract bait in the winter. I get lots of herring when doing that in the summer. We'll try drifting Burton Creek sometime. Thanks a lot. I attended a seminar at BPS last year tha you and Gus put on and you all did great job. Thanks again!

16. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Chris, you should have been at the BPS seminar this week that Mac did. He cut his hand and bled about a gallon of blood and never lost consciousness. Amazing man! :big_smile:

17. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I was up there and saw Gus come in the door and he was heading up to do his talk upstairs. I didn't know that Mac was there too. I may have stayed and hung around for that. I had prior committments at home, and I had just gotten off work and was ready to go home anyway. I'll be at the next one they do as long as I can get some notice. I usually read Gus's sight and he posts the dates up there. Must have missed this one. see ya

18. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I came in the door with Gus and you did not notice me!?!?!?!?! :big_smile:

19. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I think there is a seminar at Gander Mt. on Feb. 3rd about striper and catfishing on Lake Norman.

20. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I think the "master", or sensei as we call him, LakeNormanBlues is doing that seminar. He said something about it today at the tournament.