Lake Norman

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by btilley, Jun 3, 2009.

1. btilley

btilley New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Fishing has been pretty slow for me these last few weeks on LKN. Mainly been fishing anywhere from D-6 to D-9. Anyone having any luck right now?/ Any help would be appreciated

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Bryan, we are not catching a bunch of cats in the D6 to D9 area, but are doing a little bit better in the area of D9 up to the bridge at Willamson Road. We appear to be doing better with smaller baits. Have you tried any shad or white perch? I have a trip Friday and I plan on fishing that area and will post my results, good or bad. See you later, Mac.

3. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    Bryan, first rule on LKN is to do whatever Mac Byrum suggests! :big_smile:

That said, I've been to the area around Lucky Creek a couple of times since mid-May and have picked up some blues and one flathead. All small...nothing over 6-7 pounds. I've been using 1/0 circle hooks and small bream/perch baits.

Hope this helps.

4. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Been the same for me on the upper end around the islands. Been drifting with bream, perch, and gizzard shad fillets and heads. Only catching a few small eating sized blues lately.

5. Allied

Allied New Member

State:
    NC
    Mac, thanks for the info on Davidson Creek. Do you ever fish the Ramsey Creek area?

6. btilley

btilley New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA

Our dock is actually close to Willamson and I have always had decent luck in front of Vinnies but cant seem to find the right spot on the D9 side of the bridge. I know the creek channel has some good cats, its just finding them. What about the area if you are heading towards Willamson that gets fairly shallow and flat in the main channel, just before the big bend in the lake?

7. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Bryan, I would suggest that you fish all the coves off of the channel. Try it and see if you don't increase your numbers. Mac

8. btilley

btilley New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Thanks Mac! Probably gonna try out some other coves tonight...how many feet of water should I be looking for?

9. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    This time of the year I normally fish 10 to 20 foot depths.

10. btilley

btilley New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Went out last night and caught some shad and pearch on the other side of the double 77 bridge then fished pretty much in front of Vinnie's. Came away with about 7 fish total, 4 blues 1 Channel and 1 flat head. Not much size to any of them but a decent night for the amount of time we fished