Lake Norman Winter Fishing

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    After reading WylieCats report from Lake Wylie yesterday, I thawed out some striper and bass filets and headed out this morning to catch the big one. On the way to my fishing hole I came upon an old gentleman waving a white towel. He had water in his gas or something and the outboard would not run. So, I towed him quite a distance to the marina that he wanted to go to for service.

Arrived at my fishing hole around 9:45 AM and had birds flying and diving everywhere and did not have any striper gear on board. Water surface temp bounced between 50.5 and 51.5 degrees and water was stained and there was very little wind. I anchor down in the middle of the main creek, adjacent to two small coves, one on each side. Baited up eight rigs with striper and bass and set them out. Baited up two cat rigs with gold trout and threw them out. All the action came from the trout rigs and I ended up with 3 small flatheads and several white perch I got jiggng. Plenty of pecks on the cut bait, but no connections.

Since we had dropping pressure I was sure I would get the big one, now I will have to wait for another day. But, that's fishing.

2. jrod79

jrod79 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    good to hear you were on the water mac. my blood is starting to boil from wanting to get out there and you know i need to get on some flatheads of any size. maybe that other secret bait we talked about will be running sooner than later . glad u caught some fish

3. andrewlail76

andrewlail76 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I went last Tuesday with zero bites

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I hear ya Mac. I wanted that pressure to drop but it held at 1022 this morning and then I don't know what happened after that, I would almost say it stalled or something. Oh well, I pulled in 1 hybrid, 1 large mouth. We trolled some rainbows for stripers all day long also with no takers on them. They are only smacking the herring here and there.

5. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    First off thanks for being helpful to others. I have had people run right by because their fishing was more important than my emergency. &*%^$#s

Glad you had some luck! I got caught with nothing but carolina rigs and cut bait once and found stripers schooling. I actually cut a strip of fillet and hooked it to stream back, wrapped my eggsinker with foil from my BIGRED gum and started chunking and jigging..LOL! I caught 2!

6. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    Seeings how I aint had no luck catching Mr. Whiskers... Im gonna go to a seminar next week. Im'a gonna drive down to Mooresville Wed and see if'n I cant learn a thing or two from Mac Daddy. Hopefully I will have my BOC hat by then. Looking forward to a learning educational seminar and hopefully figure out how to catch these rascals!
    ~Teddy

7. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    I personally guarantee that you will not regret making the trip. I've driven there several times all the way from Raleigh and each time I came home with a lot of useful info.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Mac I was reading an article in a boating magazine and according to the article Gander Mountain is the parent company for Cabelas.Had I been forced at gunpoint to make a choice I would have bet my life it was the other way around.:smile2::wink:One good reason I dont bet much.Is that true?I remember GM from many years ago and quite frankly had thought BP and Cabelas had put them out of business.:roll_eyes:

9. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Jim, Gander Mtn. sold their catalog business to Cabela's, but they did buy Overtons down East. Mac

10. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Yep they bought Overtons but they are making Overtons primarily pleasure boating and weeding out the fishing stuff.:angry: