Lake Norman Tournament Results

Discussion in 'Carolina Catfish Club' started by WylieCat, Dec 9, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Carolina Catfish Club Fall Tournament Series

Lake Norman Results
    9 December 2007

It was a warm start for a December tournament as anglers headed out on Lake Norman this morning. Five boats entered the final event of the season and were treated to light winds, clear skys, and morning temperatures in the upper 40's.

Five www.catfish1.com members fished in the event.

From reports most anglers found their fish drifting. Those who anchored were unsuccessful. Most anglers complained of a slow early bite that picked up as the day went on.

In the end club veterans Kevin Custer and Jerry Hilderbran had the winning stringer of fish. Club vice president Karl Emerson and Rob McHenry were second. A surprise appearance by LakeNormanBlues, Mac Byrum, put himself and partner Cary Vanden Broecke (Billfish76) in third place.

Awards will be handed out at the January 2008 meeting at the Gander Mountain store in Mooresville.

Lake Norman Results
    1) Kevin Custer and Jerry Hilderbran…52.6 pounds
    2) Karl Emerson and Rob McHenry (shrewboy)…34.6 pounds
    3) Mac Byrum (LakeNormanBlues) and Cary Vanden Broecke (Billfish76)…28.4 pounds

Big Fish…Kevin Custer and Jerry Hilderbran…17.4 pounds

2. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    thanks for the results,was wondering all day what the bite was gonna be like,sounds like it was pretty slow for the big uns,sure was a great day to be out on the water,sure was foggy out this morning to say the least,glad everyone had a safe day and hate i couldnt attend,see yall hopefully at the next meeting:wink:

3. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Just like to congratulate the Norman boys for issuing another beat down. I would love to hate LKN but at times it has been very good to me too but not today. :embarassed:

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Fish, fish everywhere but not a bite to get. This is the way it was for most of us until 11:00 AM. The bait was hugging the bottom, sometimes as much as 15 feet deep and the arches were plenty. We (Billfish76 and myself) got our first decent bite at 2:05 PM and the next one at 2:20 PM and the tournament ended at 3:00 PM.

It was nice seeing and fishing with the Members of the CCC, but it sure did wear this old codgers out. A stringer of 52.6 pounds is nothing to sneeze about on LKN in the winter time. Congrat's to Kevin and Jerry and to second place winners Karl and Rob, who had a fine stinger themselves. Kevin and Jerry said they caught their first cat around 11:00 AM.

There was a lesson for all of us to learn in this tournament and that is never quit until the last minute. Too many tournament fishermen give up after having a bad morning and go home and miss out on the late bite. Also, always go to the weighin regardless of how small your stringers is, because it is possible that others had a bad day themselves.

I would again like to thank Billfish76 for being my partner for this tournament, he is a nice fellow and a very good fisherman and was kind enough to furnish our sandwiches for the trip.

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    got a question for you tourney pros. i noticed wylies post said there wasnt no anchor bite to be had. just wondering if the fish caught showed signs of mud on there bellies? as if they was all layed up an wasnt searching for food. anchoring was the way to go for us on the yadkin saturday. i know its two different lakes but im trying to piece this puzzle together to use on yal in the future.:smile2: thanks for any feed back on this. congrates to the winners!

6. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Yea ,I saw the muddy bellies at badin .Good question

7. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I based those comments on the response from the anglers, and the fact that Mudkip and I did not fare well when anchored. We spent the early morning in some PRIME places and we only netted one fish. After that we took to drifting.

As for the muddy bellies, well, ours were clean as a whistle.

The one oddity was what I found in my live well when I cleaned it. Normally on Lake Norman you find a lot of small mussel shells, but this time there was some kind of brown husk like material. If it had been summer I would have said some kind of bug, but I doubt that this time of year. Next came red oak acorns. Could catfish be eating what deer are eating? Who knows, but I do know they were NOT eating our bait!!! :smile2:

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    gearhead i have seen it come and go at badin while practicing in the last month. seem to be a day to day thing sometimes. i notice on days when they had more mud on them the bite was better drifting. it was like they was laying around but still yet wouldnt pass up a good thing if presented just right. i heard omar once say when the fish had mud on them it was due to being cold and laying on the bottom. im not sure he really knew either but it sounded good to me because i was cold.:smile2: i didnt notice mud on our fish saturday when we caught them.

9. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Catfishrus, I have noticed that some of the cats that I'm catching have mud on their bellies like they do in late winter. We drifted over one school of cats that looked like they were stacked up on each other. We got one out of that group in 12 to 14 feet of water.

Cary and myself left the bait fish with nice arches under them and went into a shallow creek with little of no bait fish present and that is where we got our 2:05 and 2:20 PM bites. Go figure! Also, the stripers came up to the surface feeding (200 to 300' from us) between the time period we caught our cats. A striper boat with 8 rigs out had just gone over the feeding area ten minutes earlier before the action and did not get a bite. :confused2:

10. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks mac that pretty much sumed up my fishing at badin for the past month. i cannot catch fish around the big bait balls anchored or drifting. they sure look pretty on the graph at times but just wasnt working for me. the areas i have done best in lately have been shallow water humps and creeks thats didnt show much on the graph. rookie and i went to my second pick on holes saturday after the first was fruitless and we still didnt mark much but the bite was pretty good anchored out of that spot. from 10.30 to 11.15 or so. landed 15-20 fish with 3 blues all over ten lbs from that setting and the bite slowed and we moved. looking back we should of just rode it out right there afterall you said never leave feeding fish. we tried drifting the area in the closeing minutes and landed some more channels but the wind died on us. i will let yal in on a secret mac told in his post that really helped me. he said it was time to hit the creeks in nov. im not too good with creek fishing but he taught me something and i will be using it from now on. i was beat at tillery while watching the winner fish a creek while i was main channel/current fishing. the winner had never been on lake tillery a day in his life! he used a map to pick his spot he told me later on. i knew the fish was in that area but never looked in that creek. thanks for the response to my question.

11. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    it is funny you mentioned the acorns last year during late spring when i take my 70 year old mother fishing on wateree for two weeks , we caught alot of 5-10lb blues well one night we gut hooked one about 30 lb, normally i throw everything back over 7 or 8 lb but this one was ripped pretty good so we kept it with heavy hearts , well when i was cleaning it ,(i like to look at the stomach contents) ,she had about 10 mussels and atleast 20 or 30 acorns in her , when i posed the ? about this on another board i had several people say they had seen the same thing ,go figure, next time i fish norman i will bring me a bag of hickory nuts

12. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    And I thought I would be getting all my CCC results before the tourney was over. I do like to post results. At least most of the time. But it looks like I get to have them after the fact. Are there pics? Oh well. LOL

13. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Sorry Whistler!!!! :eek:oooh:

Thats my fault. I just kinda posted them!! No pics this time. I was busy weighing fish and forgot about it.