Lake Norman Tips

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by miichael, Jul 7, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I plan on giving lake Norman a try for Flatheads and Blues next Thursday night anyone been catching any? Plan on putting in at Long island access and heading up the river towards I-40 and fishing the river bends/drop offs. any tips or places that are producing fish would be great.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I don't know lake Norman but I keep hearing good things about it. So I am bumping this back to the top. Someone with knowledge will chime in with helpful info.

3. striper

striper New Member

State:
    north carolina
    the only place that i have caught any fish has been in McCrary creek... it has some nice drops and some structure. if you are going up river be careful. there are a lot of rocks that you can't see. and some trees you can't see... good luck and let us know how you did...

ed...

4. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    How far up the river can you go safely? can you go to I-40 with safe depths? how deep is the water up around I-40?

5. striper

striper New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i would imagine there is safe depths to run a boat because there are houses on the river around route 40 and i have seen some boats but i have never been more than 1/2 mile above buffalo shoals bridge because of the rocks and trees and my cousin told me to watch for them... it is his boat and i don't need to pay for a new prop....i have been in 20' of water and then the next thing i know is that there is a flat that is about 2'. but i do know that if you take your time and watch where you are going you can make it... right now it should be better than when i was up there because the lake and river are back up to almost normal levels.... just follow the channels and you should be fine.. as for the depth, according to the maps the channel is about 10' up from the first bend above buffalo shoals bridge... it doesn't show me to route 40....

ed

6. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    nyone else know aqny good catfish spots on norman this time of year? I have caught 1 catfish out of norman in 2 trips so i need some tips. Want big blue and flatheads.

7. usmc0208

usmc0208 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What are the best places to fish in Lake Norman?