Lake Norman Striper Report

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Mac-b, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    It is getting about that time on LKN to fish for stripers in a serious way. Today, after I got in from fishing I tied on four roadrunners on some lite weigh spinner outfits and setup two others up with Red Fin top water lures. Water surface temp. is approaching 70 degrees which is the magic temp. to fish for those bad boys. You can find them at the openings of creeks to the main channel and at the junction of two or more bodies of water coming together.

This morning an elderly fellow tried to get me to stop and fish for stripers because he shouted they were every where. I told him that we were cattin today, but soon we would be fishing for stripers. It was real windy early in the AM so I decided to anchor down. First spot produced a nice one and then we moved after one hour to another spot. That area looked good but we got no catfish bites. But, the sonar screen went crazy with what looked like white perch, so out comes the rigs with the jigging spoons. No white perch down thar but, there were a bunch of stripers about 6 to 9 inches long. We played with them for awhile and then moved to another spot and the stripers got under us again, this time in the 16 to 18 inch class.

The fellow that I took fishing this AM had informed me that he wanted to catch some blues for a fish fry. So, as insurnance I went out Saturday AM and caught a mess and cleaned them, bagged them and froze them just in case the weatherman was right about the cold front coming in. Well it did and my work on Saturday paid off big time.

Rookie12 and all of you other closet striper fishermen can get ready for some action. Don't forget, if you use stripers for bait, you better have the head and tail intact with the total carass and have it on the boat with you. Mac

2. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Heck, I ain't no closet fisherman!!! I fish for 'em and I'll admit it any day. It's a hard call for me in the cooler months whether to grab the striper rods or get the big blue outfits out. I usually grab both. You pullin' them roadrunners on mono.? I might have to try that sometime. How far back do you run them? Thanks Mac!

3. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Rookie12, I usually give an easy cast. Not much, because you want it to run about 8 to 10' deep. Also, you can make your easy cast and attach the line at the rod end to a side planer board and play out forty to fifty feet of line and then you will see some awesome action. Also, don't be surprised when a eating size blue grabs hold to the road runner. It happens all the time when I am striper fishing. Mac

4. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    Mac B

What speed do you usually run when you're pulling road runners?

Thanks,

Mac M

5. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I've never pulled 'em on mono, but you better bet I will try it now. What size roadrunners are you pulling? Do you ever use live bait, or do you do just as good with the roadrunners? Thanks Mac. And they sure are fun to catch on a jigging spoon aren't they. see ya

6. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    I use 1/4 oz. with white feathers and I troll at enough speed to turn the little blade on the lure. It can be from 1/2 to 1 MPH. You can go faster when you get into shallow water to raise the lure up. The best way to judge the right speed in to let the lure in the water beside the boat where you can see the blade on the lure and whether or not it is turning and check your speed dial and then you are set. Mac

7. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    I wanted to be on the water at 5:30 AM today, but a fog bank had me landlocked. I could not see the dock next to me and it is only 150' away. Fog lifted enough for me to get out around 8 AM and I went maybe 1.5 miles into Mtn. Creek and got to M-2, and I had to stop on account of more heavy fog and fished the opening of Mtn. Crk. and Beaver Dam Creek. Pulling four road runners @ .75 to 1.1 MPH in medium fog and lite wind. I also had out two rigs (free line) with a nice size spit shot on it baited with live bream. The bream got two stripers and two nice size green fish and the road runners ended up with three stripers. Did not catch a single legal size (20") striper. But, on the lite gear I was using it was fun and thats what it is all about. Did not catch a single catfish and that is unusual. It's about time for WylieCat to call and see if I will give him some more lessons (don't know when, with the deer season going on, but it will happen), don't know why he needs more lessons, I have showed him everything I know about striper fishing and that is not a lot. I arrived back home at 10:40 AM. This retirement life is just killing me because I can not take a day off. Mac

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    That sure is a nice problem to have!! It seems as though you've been putting in a ton of "work" here lately.:wink:

9. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    You said that it looked like I was putting in a ton of work here lately or something similar. Wes, somebody has to do it! What more can I say. :wink:Mac

10. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Heck, that ain't work to me, but you just keep it up. I'll think about you when I'm pulling wrenches in the morning. I hate being cold at work, but I love seeing my breath when I'm on the water. sure is nice to see all them idiots off the water ain't it Mac!!

11. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    mac you hiring? sounds like my kind of work.:smile2: im a fast learning when the fish are biting too.:wink:

12. MERUSS

MERUSS New Member

State:
    nc
    heh guys.
    you should get in on the late afternoon bit! Just net some thread fins and then ride around and check main chanel and main lake points for striper action. They can't resist a freelined shad tossed into the fray.
    Then after dark take that same bait and find some lighted docks. We waxed there a... yesterday and only fished maybe 2 hours.

13. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I heard from a good source that the best bite on Norman right now might just be the spotted bass. Sounds like they need some thinning out.:smile2:

14. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Mudkipp, I know of two fellows that are catching 30 to 75 spots on most morning trips and this has been going on for several week now. They are hanging on ledges in 45 to 55 feet and are hitting jigging spoons. I wonder of they make good catfish bait. Mac

15. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Chris says "Yes they make excellent catfish bait"

Chris is killing the spotted bass and catching some nice flats too.

16. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Wind was approx. 5 MPH and water surface temp. was 61 to 62 degrees. Bait of choice was gold trout, rainbow trout and small bream. Marked fish at 30 to 40 feet. I had a triple, double and three singles, plus a trash fish (bass). I was using four down lines, two line attached to a planer board and two free lines. The planer board lines and the free lines all had small spit shots on them to get them down a little bit more. Bite started at first light and was more or less over by 7:30 AM. Several other boats were in the area and it appears that everyone got the legal limit. Mtn. Creek was the location.

17. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    I had so much fun Saturday AM (11-17-07) that I went back out that afternoon at 3:15 PM and fished until 4:45 PM and found the stripers in almost the same place as earlier in the AM. Same bait and techniques were used. Wind had gotten up (10 to 12 MPH out of the SW), but wind is not as major a factor as it is with catfishing. Wind would not let me stay on the main body of fish very long and I had to run my MinnKota at position five and six to get back on them. Net results was five more stripers, with two in the 22 to 24 inch class.

Funny thing about striper fishing. A friend of mine called a guide and told him about the fish and the guide checked it out at 2 PM and could not find them and left at 3 PM. I arrive at 3:15 PM and they are there. I called the guide at 3:45 PM to give him a heads up on the fish, thinking he might have a trip Sunday and he told me what he found between 2 and 3. This to me is the most frustrating thing about stripers. They can move out of a spot so quick and return the same way or they can leave and move a mile or two and you can't find them. But, that's striper fishing.

18. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Wind was not a factor this morning. Water surface temp. contiunues to drop. Reports from around the lake depicted that the water temp. had a range of 56 to 65 degrees.

Went close to the same place as I fished yesterday. Four boats were in the area and one boat caught six stripers and the rest from 2 to 5 each. The boat that caught six stripers fished in less than 20' depth and was using thread fin shad and the rest of us we still fishing the 40 to 50' water. I saw what the shallow water fisherman was doing but I would not go into that area and mess up his pattern, neither did the other fishermen.

Started at first light and was back home at 9:15 AM cleaning some nice stripers for din din tonight. Did you'll know the the State of North Carolina says that you should only eat 1/2 pounds of striper meat per week and that pregant women should not eat it at all. Mac

PS, dang, forgot to tell you'll that a nice blue consumed one of my gold trout and it took a while to get it in on 12# test line. I let it go after I informed it that I did not want it to mess with my trout when I was striper fishing!

19. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Weatherman said that we would have lite winds on LKN this AM, wrong, it was blowing 8 to 12 at 6 AM, finally settled down around 9 AM. Water surface temp. was below 60 degrees where we fished. Bait of choice was gold trout, rainbow trout and bream. Plus of the AM was that it was overcast most of the AM.

I had as my quest today Killentime99 and his partner Kevin. We had a good time and the final results was four stripers in the boat and five or six enjoyed a quick release at the boat. Couple of my buddies (blue and flathead) decided that they wanted to consume some trout, so we cranked them in and told them this was not the time or place to be messing with us.

Best bite on the stripers was at 24' depth in 30 to 34 feet of water on down lines. Planer boards and free line did not fair well today.

20. killentime99

killentime99 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    just wanted to say thanks mac we had a great time and look forward to doing it again.