Lake Norman striper and catfish outing

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    WylieCat and myself (LakeNormanBlues) joined sixtytwo boats today to see which team could catch the largest striper. There was also a catfish side pot. We came in tenth in the stripers and picked up some spending money and second in the catfish side pot (catfish side pot was winner take all). WylieCat caught the largest striper for our team and also the largest cat for the team. I did a great job with the net. In all we caught 7 stripers and two blues. Total weight for the largest cat was 31+ pounds, which was a flathead.

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i knew i couldnt keep dieter out of the hall of fame for long.:lol: you did get a picture right? hey congrates to you guys. think i will go dig me a hole in my yard now....:big_smile: 135gallons and 13 dozen right :wink:

3. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Good buddy, all the blue backs died! The upper part of the tank had 6 ribs along the upper 9" of the tank, lower 20 some inches has no ribs. Those dumb little blue blacks beat their little heads against the ribs until they died. It now looks like I have a tank to store bream, crappie and white perch for my catfish bait, my favorite bait anyway. We caught our stripers on no. 30 shinners and rainbow trout. I froze the blue blacks in water (packages of 36 each) for future cat fish outings. Dieter had to take his hat off at the weigh in because his head was swelling! Good luck next week and I hope one of the brothers catches the big one. I will not be there because I am doing a catfish seminar at Gander Mtn. on Feb. 3.

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey my bad. i thought yal got the flathead but i been looking at the rod tips all day and everything run together on me.

5. fishman247

fishman247 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    where can i find info on these outings on norman,i'm not too far from norman or wylie and love the feel olf the big cats,i enjoy reading/learning from this site ,but i still need all the help i can get,

my biggest cat has been a 54#flatty from santee but i've yet to break 30# blue

6. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Wow that sounds like fun! Not that I get alot of time off to join y'all but let us know when this goes on soo next time if I can maybe join in. I never have fished freswater tournaments before only saltwater but that sounds like one I would do. Keep me posted.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Ol' lakenormanblues put us on them Saturday!! :lol: Not only does this guy know catfish, but he also knows stripers.

I had a great time. We were on them five minutes after we started. It was just a matter of dragging the bait across a big fish.

1st and 2nd were really big fish for Norman at 13 and 9 pounds. Third place was around 6 1/2 pounds and we were 10th with a 5.95 pound fish, so you can see that 3rd-10th were right on top of each other.

I guess we can always say that one of the strikes we missed was a bigger one!! :lol:

For three weeks in a row, we were second in the catfish competition!!! :lol:

8. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Fisherman247 (Josh), I missed your question earlier about how to find out about tournaments. The BOC board is the best place to find out about tournaments. But, you can also check out different club sites, such as the Carolinas Catfish Club, LNSS, NFA and others clubs. If it's catfishing tournaments that you are interested in, then you are in the right place to find some of the best competition in the state.

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey Josh, go in the NCCATS forum here on the BOC, the tourney schedule. At the bottom Dieter posted a link to the NCCATS website. You should be able to find most any other into you'd like to know there :smile2:.