Lake Norman State Park , December 27,2009

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mintaka, Dec 29, 2009.

1. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Arrival at 12:30. Wind was nominal , with a water temp estimated at 48. Baits were shad , menhaden , and livers. Ended up getting 12 strikes but no hookups. This leads me to hypothesize that mono with circles is a bad combination. Even when it seemed the rods were going to break , the fish somehow got off!! I was getting a bit peeved at this point. Preparing to leave , the big rod sustains a massive strike. Adrenalin depleted , I stood next to the rod for about 10 seconds to ascertain a positive lock. I managed to land an 8 pound blue on the shad!! So all was not lost....until I got back to the car. As it stands , this will be the last trip for at least a month until repairs are complete with my car. At least my freezer is chock full of food!!

2. lunatics

lunatics New Member

State:
    NC
    what part in lake norman state park do u fish at? trying to find new shore fishing spot so i can take my kids to.

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Thanks Mason for the update an the catch.

4. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    Mason, do you think the circles would've worked better on braided line? That's the setup I use. Thanks!

5. mintaka

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    From my experience , they work better with braid. Mono , IMO , stretches too much and has too much memory. I have been using circles sizes 5,7, and 8. Tomahawk told me that they work better in current with rapala knots. So I'll use this method when I go again. Regarding spots , I made the first left after the entrance and went down the Alder trail along a peninsula where 2 creeks converged before flowing into the lake. There are multiple spots to fish there , you just have to walk through hilly terrain to get to them. At the end of the main road , there are spots around the swimming area where you could fish. As of yet , I haven't had many catches aside from a small bream caught during the drought of 2007. Hopefully this will assist you in your quest.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    You say the hook did not work, but how do you know the hook was even in the fishes mouth?

:crazy:

Just because the bait was hit, that does not mean the fish was large enough to engulf the entire bait to the point of taking the hook. Many times fish will grab a bait and try to carry it off before ingesting it.

I have been using mono leaders and mono line with circle hooks for years without any issue whatsoever. Recently I began experimenting with braided line alongside the mono equipped rods, and so far I can not tell a difference.

7. mintaka

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    That is a valid point. I didn't consider that possibility. The rod in question was baited with livers. I tried to bury the hook while keeping the point exposed. Ultimately it was up to the fish.

8. lunatics

lunatics New Member

State:
    NC
    thanks buddy.

9. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thats your problem. Your putting livers on circle hooks. Circle hooks are made for live or cut bait.

10. mintaka

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I'll chalk it up to living and learning. I used to use trebles , but they had a tendency to gut hook and mortally wound large and small fish , not to mention snags.

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....I tried to bury the hook while keeping the point exposed....."

You can't bury a circle hook.

You barely hook the bait with a circle hook. That may have been part of the problem.

12. holliswood

State:
    King, NC
    Mason, sorry about your car. Whats wrong with it?

13. mintaka

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    The engine died.
    Hopefully , I will be up and running in a month or so when it is rebuilt.
    I've told a few about it , only to be chewed out about cash for clunkers.
    They just don't understand my determination to restore the car. Now had it been a new car , it would have been totaled when the deer ran into it in 2007 , as opposed to dented. After this malady is taken care of , I'll be in the market for another , more efficient car. It really sucks not having use of my car. I've had it since April 24 , 2006 and would like for it to look , run , and sound like it did when I initially bought it. And it will. I'll see to that.

14. holliswood

State:
    King, NC
    Finding another car maybe more of a hastle than fixing the engine.