Lake Norman Report 7/18/09

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by crashman, Jul 20, 2009.

1. crashman

crashman Guest

Fished Norman Sat, started out early drifting out of the back of Lucky Creek and caught a nice mix of blues and channels under 5 lbs. We were drifting in 10-20 feet with strips of white perch. The wind was up a little and the boat traffic was extremely heavy. Moved up to Little Creek at about 11 AM and only caught one more small channel. Couldn't get away from the waverunners and tubers even in the very backs of the creeks. Between the wind and the boat traffic, the main channel was as rough as I've seen it. 99% of the time I go at night, and I know it is dangerous to be out at night, but Saturday I was way more concerned about my safety around that many boats than I ever have been at night. You probably won't find me on Norman in the Summer again past 11 o'clock in the morning on weekends.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2009
  2. deepwoods

deepwoods New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I fish LKN a lot. My least successful day is always Sunday and my best days are Thursday and Friday. I am convinced the heavy boat traffic on Saturday disturbs the fishing for a couple of days. A good many of the rec boaters and jet skiers have acceptable boating manners. Unfortunatly there are a number that do not thus my reason for not fishing past 10:00 on Sunday or not at all.

I would guess Badin and High Rock are the same. It is their lake too.

3. crashman

crashman Guest

You are right, it IS everybody's lake, I just encountered some very rude skiers and tubers Saturday. But my point was more so of a safety issue being in such heavy boat traffic in the main channel than I was complaining about the jet skiers, etc. I've been on those waverunners myself, so I have more tolerance than probably most other fisherman for them. I think you might be on something with the boat traffic affecting the bite too. Seems like the bite just quit Saturday after 11 AM. If I was a fish I would hide too!!:wink:

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....You probably won't find me on Norman in the Summer again past 11 o'clock in the morning on weekends...."

I agree!!

For that matter, any lake in the Piedmont with a public boat ramp is a nightmare. :crazy: I fished Saturday and was at the ramp at 11:00am ready to head home.

I'll tell you what I love; a 24 degree January day at the boat ramp. Nothing but HARDCORE fishermen show up!! :wink: No skiers, wake boarders, or party boats.

To be honest, I like jet ski's around me now and then. I think they help with the bite a bite on slow days. I don't like ski boats due to the wake.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  5. deepwoods

deepwoods New Member

State:
    north carolina
    A big AMEN on the winter fishing!!

6. wtjordan84

wtjordan84 New Member

State:
    NC
    thats an interesting theory....i was thinking the other day how i always seem to catch my bigger fish when i am by myself. seems like i never do as well when i go with someone. but now that i think about it, the only time i go by myself is on the weekdays because everyone else is working and cant go. Its always the weekends that my buddies come along, and i never catch as many fish! I guess im lucky to have a job where I am off for 4 days out of the week so i can fish those less pressured days.

7. Pot Hole

Pot Hole New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    ...and a few of us duck hunters! :wink: